From:
"Bill Looyen. (Ferretologist)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 1995 23:59:04 +1300
Michael Reiss
>Somethings to note are that Missy always splays her legs out when you pick
>her up.  Whether that indicates pain or discomfort i dont know...

I don't think this indicate pain or discomfort more a feeling of insecurity.
Whenever I get an ferret brought in for adaption and lifting her/him with
one hand under the arm pits and firmly but gentle stroke it with the other
hand from the chest down to the hind legs, if it is well handled, he/she
should hang quiet limp and relaxed but if not, the hind legs will be like a
"coat hanger" (splayed).  Most of my "beestie's", when I pick them up, after
an good play and run, with both hand around the shoulder and armpits and
swing them gently from side to side they will jawing several times, good for
looking into the mouth and checking the teeth, and then sometimes go to
sleep.  I never use the scruff of the neck from the age of about 5 weeks,
they absolutely dislike this practice.  I believe something to do with
glands used for mating purpose as they get older.

And "Ame" has just presented me with 10 baby's.

Bill  (68)