Date:
Tue, 11 Aug 2009 13:05:03 EDT
This post is a follow up to Sukie's post about the possible Ban of
Ferrets in Bangor, PA......

We (LOS) have been working for the past 9 months to try to get Bangor
to take Ferrets off the list. Also FYI - Reading, PA is trying to ban
wildlife including ferrets, rats, mice, etc., from living inside city
limits. In fact, some hotels in Reading are already disallowing ferrets
in their hotels. Reading has not made anything official but they have
discussed this in the township meetings over the past few years. If
Bangor makes their ban official, I have no doubt that Reading will
follow shortly thereafter.

It it our hope that Bangor does not pass this Ban because there are
several ferret owners in Bangor and Reading, which would only lead to
a large amount of ferrets turned into shelters.

It is my suggestion that if anyone lives within Bangor or Reading city
limits to send letters to the Town Hall requesting that ferrets be put
onto the "Domestic" Pet List. These towns are still holding to "old"
rules and beliefs in regards to ferrets. Most of PA excepts ferrets as
a domesticated pet and we are trying to get the rest of the State to
update their definition of the ferret. Since they are still on a
wildlife list in some towns, when a true wild animal causes an issue,
ferrets maybe included in their ban against dangerous wildlife.

Nothing has been made official yet from either Bangor or Reading. The
forefront of our concern is Bangor, PA since they are publicizing their
intent to Ban Ferrets from their City. Please read Sukie's links and
send letters to the newspapers, town hall, governor, state
representative, etc.

Sincerely,

Dawn Smith
LOS National