From:
Roger Poore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 21:06:30 -0400
Last night, Spunky had a seizure in his cage.  It lasted about 10
minutes.  Afterwards, I got him out and noticed that he was totally out
of it.  This morning, my wife got him out of his cage and gave him some
sugar water.  He was responsive and drank the water.  About an hour
later, he started seizing again.  We rushed him to the animal emergency
clinic.  The doc gave him an IV with dextrose but that didn't stop the
seizing.  The doc then gave him valium but that didn't help either.

It was with a very heavy heart that I decided to let him go.  I was there
through the whole thing.  God, I hope I did the right thing.

We just lost Sassy about 4 months ago.  We had to help her cross over as
well due to seizures.  Out of 13 ferrets that we've had, none of them
ever had seizures.  The last two passed away because of this.  I find
that odd.

Spunky was 6 and a half years old and was our sole remaining ferret.
While it has only been a matter of hours, I miss the little guy terribly.
I don't think it has hit me yet that we no longer have any little ferts
to love.  I think I will hold off on getting any more for a while.  Don't
get me wrong, I love the little guys but they can sure break your heart
when they die--I'm a 220 pound man and couldn't control the tears while
he was being put to sleep.  Plus, there's the medical expenses and
finding quality ferret vets is sometimes difficult.

Good-bye little Spunky.  We'll never forget you.

 -Roger