From:
"Donna L. Carlsen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Sep 2001 12:17:13 EDT
Hello!
I have come out of hiding once again to try the FML craze once again.  I
had subscribed previously on two separate occasions, and each time I
joined, I learned that I was (unknowingly) the subject of a heated debate.

This time I would like to address a very old issue, but one that I feel
needs to be cleared up (so that I may be able to sleep at night).

I was looking through the archives and came upon some posting back in
December 2000 about the Pet Store Protests in Las Vegas.  I was SHOCKED
to say the least about what was said about my "too busy" attitude towards
participating.

Please excuse me, I know this is very VERY old news, but it is important
to me just as well.  I was invited to participate in the protest because
I happen to possess a 7-foot ferret costume (now 6-foot, it's been
modified).  I was to stand out in the crowd wearing the costume.  At that
time, I had a 6-mo.  old premature infant son, and I was not going to put
myself into a self-contained, limited sight and movement costume while my
son was in the hands of a stranger.  I am very sorry for this, but that
is the God honest truth.

Besides, if you think about it, if they were having objects thrown at them
and cars veering in their direction, I am glad my son was NOT there... I
did not say I was "too busy", although that would not have been far from
the truth.  I am, after all, trying to run a shelter, and 4 hours away
from these guys would certainly take it's toll.

I also would like to let everyone know that I am helping CJ and the 24
Carat Ferret Rescue.  I am sure something has been said about that, and
I'm not really sure I want to know, but I am here for her, for whatever
she needs.  I am here to help, and anything CJ wants or needs is just a
phone call away.  I know it is very hard for her to give up her precious
guys, I was once in that position as well.  Although at that time I was
told if I couldn't afford to do it, then I shouldn't do it.  But that is
a completely different story.  Well let me tell you, NOBODY can afford to
run a ferret shelter.  That is why I support CJ 150%, and I hope that she
is able to lighten her load, get on her feet, and get "back in business".
I will be here for her in any way to help, and I will be there for her
when she decides to go full service again.  She is a valuable and
dependable service to our community.  And I have made a promise and a
committment to treat the ferrets that she turns over to me with the care
and dedication, as I would any other ferret that comes into the shelter.

I usually stay under a rock, for good reasons.  It seems every time I come
out from under it, someone throws it at me.

I would like to extend myself to everyone on the FML to feel free to
e-mail me with ANY problems or questions you might have.  Please do not
take statements from people who either do not know me, have never visited
the shelter, or just do not have the full and true story.  Also, it would
be nice to be able to defend myself when accusations are made, although
it would also be nice to not have the accusations pop up at all.

I am going back under my rock now.
Donna L. Carlsen
Angel Ferret Shelter, Inc.