From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 15:59:36 -0500
Steph wrote:
>And for those of you who don't know what the breeders do with the kits
>from the normal mum, they are disposed of

Well, it depends on the breeder.  A number of us spent part of last
year convincing a new, small, private ferret breeder who had moved into
ferrets from dogs to stop destroying the albino ferrets she bred.  That
was her form of culling, and these were not even seriously deformed
animals with little chance of happiness in life or extreme medical needs
whom she was destroying, they just happened to be albinos just like our
Warpie whose belly smelled like the world's best bakery, or our Spot who
liked to unplug computers and stash his huge toy ferrets, or our Whizbang
(also known as Wizbang because her being fast works for both physical and
mental speed) who so loves to kiss.  Yes, there are breeders large and
small who destroy animals who don't look like what they want.

I know of breeders large and small who keep the kits who have deformities
or find them homes.  Those taking very kind and loving approach include
two of the very largest farms in the U.S.  Not many kits like that arise,
of course, but they happen anywhere that breeding happens -- large or
small -- and can occur for a range of reasons among groups of ferrets who
are not even being inbred to get a certain look.

I guess that what i am saying is that given the preconceptions which
sometimes have shown up in PAST discussions if would really surprise some
folks here to know which breeders destroy animals compared to which ones
do their best to give them a chance, whether those few deformed animals
wind up with employees, or with people who purposely adopt a certain
number of ferrets with medical problems, or whatever.

Another side of the coin, of course, shows the people or places which
purposely in-breed for certain looks despite the woe that causes too many
animals, and that is not at all loving -- no more so than destroying
animals just because they don't fit the configuration desired.

The key words for breeding are: health, longevity and personality FIRST!
To heck with appearances.

Alayne wrote:
>I recently picked up the latest ferret annual magazine.  I was
>wondering, if a vet is listed, they've been asked to be listed as a
>vet that treats ferrets, correct?  Do they necessary get recommended
>by ferret owners?

I don't think so.  We used to have two great ferret vets at the local
animal hospital.  Both left.  That local hospital is listed in the 2004
edition with two other vets mentioned and I know those vets do not really
know ferrets, and Steve and I have even heard from someone about one
vet there sending someone with a ferret all the way to U. Penn for a
blockage surgery when actually one of the vets who left -- who is GREAT
for those -- is only about an hour away in Bellemead, NJ (Joe Martins of
the Bellemead AH, 872 Rt.  206 in Bellemead, NJ 1-908-874-4447).  If you
haven't guessed, we make the hour trip to Bellemead get care for our
ferrets.

BTW, there was a bit of miscommunication in the article in that magazine
on make-at-home toys.  The plastic cups are ferrets like to play with are
large cups -- far too large to get stuck on their heads.  When they have
played with paper cups which are smaller we have first punched holes
through the ends of the paper cups so that there is not any smothering
hazard.  I know that I mentioned this before in the FML but it is a good
thing to repeat for safety's sake.

Carol, it just sounds like the AFA folks should talk with Dr. Bruce
Williams or others in ferret pathology (which is the specialty subset
in the know for this topic) and revise their brochure according to
recommended wording by the pathologist to mention that ferrets do not get
rhinoviruses (colds) but do get some sinus infections and influenza.

Amy, okay, first 2 things:
First: You do not mention coughing.  While influenza can have secondary
problems elsewhere it is FIRST OF ALL a respiratory disease.  If they
aren't coughing, don't think "flu".  Yes, I know the term gets misused
as in "stomach flu" which is not even a real anything -- just general GI
problems which could have any of a number of causes.  It's like the word
"cold" and the word "cancer": badly misused and generally applied till
there is almost no meaning attached and no information transmitted with
the informal way many people use them.

Second: if you look in the various CDC materials influenza shots are
KILLED viruses (but NOT the nasal vaccine which is only attenuated).  If
you read up in the CDC materials you will find many, many mentions that
it does not cause viral shedding and it is therefore not infectious.
There is a LOT of information on the CDC site about influenza and the
approaches to influenza.  Please, see the many posts on this topic in
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org , a number of which give assorted CDC URLs.

Now, dehydration is of itself a real danger.  you need to call your vet
and ask for a call-back at the vet's convenience.  Then tell your vet
what you can and answer the questions the vet asks.  Your ferret may need
sub-cutaneous hydration, may need meds, may need tests, may even need IV
depending on the particulars involved.  Then again, if your vet feels
from those specific answers you give to the questions that the ferret is
doing okay you may just get some pointers and a list of signs which will
necessitate your coming in when they arise.