From:
Tanya M Vestal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 1997 10:35:08 -0600
Well, we're back, and vacation sure is over!  Nothing left of Christmas but
the laundry and unpacking (but Boomer's getting around to that).  Our
ferrets had quite the vacation.  Their big adventure was going ice fishing.
We were only planning to go for about an hour and it was almost 30 degrees
ABOVE zero, and as usual, Boomer had been hanging out by the door all day,
so we thought what the heck.  For anyone who's interested, the front pocket
of a pair of Carhart bibs is the perfect size for a ferret.  (for anyone
who's never had the need for Carharts, and doesn't know what they are, how
do you feel about adopting two really spoiled ferrets and their humans?)
Boomer went nutso - he almost imploded from the excitement.  Bongo peeked
out, sneezed, and hunkered down for a nap.  Not an outdoors ferret.  Of
course Boomer insisted on getting down and exploring (far away from the
hole!!).  Dean had him and (I thought) was watching him.  I saw something
out of the corner of my eye, and looked down to see Boomer stealing a
perch!!  The little bugger held on to the thing, too, and hissed when I
grabbed it.  So then I had an idea...we lowered him into the hole by his
leash to see if he came up with a fish...NO WE DIDN'T!!  Sheesh.  Although
he probably would have gone for it.  Anyway, they both loved it, and it
wasn't too cold for them to play in the snow (wearing their socks) for once.
Now every time Boomer sees a pair of coveralls, he crawls in the pocket and
waits.

Boomer also met his first cow (heifer, actually).  I had him in my coat when
I went to get the mail.  My uncle has his cattle in the barnyard for the
winter, so we took a little detour.  One of the heifers came up to the
fence, and Boomer got curious and poked his head out to sniff.  Scared the
pants off the poor heifer, and he thought it was funny.  He hung way out of
my jacket and dooked at her.  What a bully.

We are back into our usual school-time thrill-a-minute routine now - poo.
And the weather is back to normal, which is a big relief - we are expecting
40 mph winds and -70 wind chills starting this afternoon, and this weekend
we got 20 inches of snow.  And just in time - all that 10 above and no wind
weather was making me jumpy!!

Mo'Bob - glad to hear about your dad!  (the part about him getting better,
not being mean!)   Although I can see where someone from your family tree
might be a "difficult" patient!  ;)

Later!
Tanya ("Give that fish back!  That's my supper!")
Boomer ("Well, I don't know what it is, but it's going under the couch as
         soon as I find one out here.")
Bongo ("Boy, this nap is making me tired.  Let's go home so I can sleep
        in the laundry.")