Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 2010 01:02:44 -0700
Sorry for the recent lack of contact in the ferret community; I haven't
answered emails, read many FMLs, or even have been watching my Facebook
page to any real degree. I've just been so busy that when I look in the
mirror, all I see is a streak.

My son Andrew is serving in the Navy and will soon be marrying his
college sweetheart. He is currently in Sub school and doing well.
Elizabeth has recovered from an extended illness and is back on her
feet and back at work as a nurse. Josh and Gloria are doing well. The
four grandkids are wonderful and an unbelievable source of joy. I've
lost a few ferrets, including my beloved Belle and Rummy. I miss both
of them very much. I have a rescue group of 3 that are currently in
isolation. A nice boy and 2 girls, all underweight, all MF. But, they
are still very sweet.

I will be driving to California sometime next week to arrive in time to
speak at the "Legalize Ferrets Revival." I strongly encourage all those
able to attend; if I can come out from Missouri, you can make it from
a closer location! I'll be talking on ferret behavior and New Zealand
feral ferrets, but the best in show always goes to Jeanne Carley and
her ferret photos. Her talk alone is worth the trouble of attending.
Please show your support for ferret legalization in California by
attending!

This is late notice because I wasn't sure if I would be driving or
flying to California. Andrew is taking leave to get married, but the
exact dates are unknown. We finally set up a 'dead date" zone around
the Sept. 25th Revival and will work around it. I hope to leave for
California on Sept. 20 to arrive on Sept 25, then a return to Missouri,
arriving Sept 30. I haven't mapped out the drive yet, but I hope to
take a southern route (through Texas) out and a northern route (through
Wyoming) back.

On a first asked, first accepted basis, if any ferret club, group,
shelter, or nice individuals would like me to stop and give a short
talk, now is the time to ask. There is another reason I'll explain
below. Assuming I'll be able to leave on Sept 20, I can accept one (1)
invitation per day out and back (ten total). I might be able to visit
two groups on a single day if you are in the same area. I can't give
talks on my California topics, but anything and everything else is
fair game.

The other reason I want to make stops is to collect data for the Ferret
Project, USA portion. I want to collect DNA (painless, non-invasive),
weights, measurements, do a tooth inspection, and collect information
on how you take care of them. The DNA will go to Davis with the nearly
1000 other samples I sent from around the world. The other data will
be used to compare USA ferrets to their world counterparts.

So, you get a talk, I get data. I have limits on how much DNA I can
collect, so don't hesitate on this admittedly late offer. I am truly
sorry about how late it is in making this offer, but I didn't want to
make it and then have to cancel if I discovered I had to fly to San
Francisco. Ferret world or not, my son and his wedding has priority.

As for the ferret project, it is doing well. I was forced to take a
break when Elizabeth was ill, but I am back on track and the lab is
up and running again. I'm trying to get 4 years of work done in 2,
so I have been keeping late hours and early mornings. I feel I've
learned what the necessary conditions are for ferrets to go feral, a
statistically significant linkage between insulinoma and carbohydrate
load, and why there is accelerated tooth wear caused by kibble. And
that is just the start! I *think* I know what a ferret's optimal
lifespan should be, and a few of the reasons why they are not living as
long. I have a much clearer view of ferret domestication and how it
occurred. Mostly, I have a clearer understanding of the ferret than I
ever had before.

Please contact me as soon as possible if you would like me to stop for
a talk or to collect DNA and data. I need your help to finish the
project and this might be my last opportunity to go west for a while.

Bob C