From:
tootsdon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 11:10:08 -0500
Just wanted to first of all thank everyone for all the responses on good
vets in MA.  I ended up going to Dr Karen Purcell and I could not have
been more pleased!  She got these two in for surgery right away and
listened to my concerns about surgery.  Excellent communication and
surgery I must say!  Cooper Jr, Nickel's other cagemate also had
blockages, UTI's with pus plugs for the 2nd time and I had to rush him in
to my regular vet to unblock him again where he stayed for over 24 hours
to make sure he remained unblocked.  Watching these guys in two separate
cages, making sure they urinate became so stressful for me and of course
for them.  I had a surgery booked for Nickel but not until the following
week later in the week.  Cooper Jr.  wasn't even scheduled yet, just an
ultrasound set up to see what was going on.  After speaking with Dr
Purcell, she got me in for sugeries two days earlier and I cancelled
everything else, I just couldn't take the waiting and stress anymore.

Anyway, the kids are amazing !!!  Up and eating and ready to run!
Nickel, who I thought was the worst one turned out to only need to have
his left adrenal out!  Cooper Jr, had a bi-lateral and found to have an
enlarged heart!  He barely showed any signs of adrenal no hair loss but
was an ear sucker and within the last couple weeks became very sexually
aggressive!

Also for those of you who have ferrets going in for surgery, that are
"wild men or women" in the cages (that like to rip things apart or are
not calm), PLEASE talk this over with your vet and suggest a "collar" and
"kitten soft paws" put on to prevent any injuries (or licking and digging
of their incisions).  Cooper Jr is an older ferret, but is also a wild
man who hates riding in cars and rips papers, cages apart, so PLEASE do
let your vet know these things BEFORE surgery and do not be afraid to
suggest these be done.  My vet suggested this.  (Dr Karen Purcell as well
as my regular vet).  It could save their life post surgery!  It requires
more care during feeding, etc.  but well worth it!

Eleanor Mead