Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 1995 18:07:07 EDT
To Stacy Thomas concerning Harold's weight loss -

I won't claim to be anything like a ferret expert.  And you'll probably
get a lot more useful info from the real experts.  But I thought I should
mention our experiences.

Gunther's weight loss turned out to be due to an enlarged spleen.  Its
odd, but I'm having problems remembering right now (too much has happened
this year, I guess).  I don't think he was particularly lathargic either,
he just seemed to keep getting thinner.  Anyway the vet recommended
removing the spleen (and Dr.  Williams was kind enough to consult with
him and concur, thanks, Dr.  Williams), so we had it done.  It turned out
that the spleen was so large it was a significant percentage of his
weight.  Man!  did he look skinny when he came home after the surgery
(and so sick, my heart just bled), but he got better and has slowly been
putting on weight ever since (and he's getting to be more active than
he's ever been).

And for something completely different, toy tip of the day .  .  .  We've
found that old, dull, "seen them" wind up toys can gain new life by making
them mock-attack a bored ferret (while the toy is running, it doesn't work
if the toy is silent).  Nico is now playing with toys she lost interest in
months ago.  (The dinosaur wind-ups from the Nature Company seem to work
the best)

Norris (for Mark, Gunther, Nico, & Oswalt)