From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 1996 19:13:57 -0800
To Teri V.:
>I am new to the list, but first thing I did was download the FAQs and the
>disease info on Lymphosarcoma.  Tessa (3yrs)was diagnosed with this 8weeks
>ago.  My vet doesn't seem to think there is much we can do for her.

If it is truly lymphosarcoma (and it sounds like it from the clinical signs)
surgery at this point is not going to be very helpful.  Unfortunately,
lymphosarcoma has a very poor prognosis in ferrets - there is not a lot that
can be done to put it into remission - we often just delay the inevitable,
which is fine, if it gives the ferret more discomfort-free time.

>He has based his diagnosis on her swollen lymph glands, neck & groin, and
>on bloodwork.  Don't get me wrong, I think he is great and has been the
>fuzzies vet for the past three years.  I'm just hoping that it might be
>something else that isn't fatal.

Actually, the ONLY way to get a definitive diagnosis is by biopsying a lymph
node.  Bloodwork really doesn't help this diagnosis, and other diseases can
casue swollen lymph nodes.  However, lymphosarcoma would have to be at the
top of the list.

Be advised, though, that she may not survive the general anesthesia required
for the biopsy if the tumor is advanced.  This may be why your vet is
hesitant to do the biopsy.  It's certainly a gamble, but one, that if
successful, will give you the definitive diagnosis that you want.

>Her abodmen is so swollen I'm afraid she'll burst.

>I know I'm probably reaching but she was only six weeks old when I brought
>her home

Don't apologize for hoping for a better diagnosis - that is a natural
reaction for all of us.

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP              Chief Pathologist, AccuPath