From:
Tracy & David Browne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 07:09:33 -0500
Hi Dr. Williams -

I'm a faithful FML reader and a big thanks for all you do for ferrets!
I have a question though..... you suggested hydrogen peroxide as a good
thing to use post operatively on incisions.

I quote:
>Daily cleaning with a soft cloth and hydrogen peroxide for about 5 days
>is a good idea - dried blood is very itchy and may make her chew at the
>stitches.

I am an RN in a cardiovascular unit and also have taken extensive training
on care of skin and wounds.  (In humans, of course).  One thing that is
stressed is NOT to use hydrogen peroxide for incisions.  It tends to dry
out the incision and cause MORE itching.  The bubbling action can also
cause DELAYED wound healing.  I have not seen any recent medical research
that supports the use of hydrogen peroxide in post-operative incisions.
There has been a trend away from the use of hydrogen peroxide in the
treatment of wounds and incisions in the medical field.  I'm curious to
know if the veterinary profession has seen a different trend?  Please see
below for a short list of recent research:

http://www.medicaledu.com/otheragents.htm

http://oxytherapy.com/oxyfiles/oxy00228.html

http://www.nurseminerva.co.uk/wound.htm

http://www.smtl.co.uk/cgi-bin/HyperNews/get.cgi/wounds/21.html?inline=1
&nogifs

I would suggest a different approach to the care of post operative
incisions.... if there is blood on the area, a gentle swab of the area
with a soft cloth and WATER would clean the area and NOT promote the
tissue degeneration that is caused by hydrogen peroxide.  If the incision
has redness or appears to have inflammation, Betadine (povidine iodine)
is the preferred anti-bacterial and doesn't damage tissue like hydrogen
peroxide does.

I'd be very curious to hear your thoughts.  Thanks!

Tracy Browne, RN
Wichita, KS