From:
Date:
Mon, 30 Dec 1996 11:03:00 -0800
>From:    Maggie <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret colors and patterns
>His undercoat is snow white and he has pitch black mitts also
>a well defined black mask on an all white head.

Well black sables aren't black and mitts are always white... I think you are
probably right that he is a black sable but when you set a sable or black
sable next to a black mitt (heavy silver) you can see that the sables may be
really close but aren't "true" black.  Like in cats and dogs, points refer
to the extremes of the animal like legs and tail.  The point pattern is a
pattern where color is found on the points and not on the body (sort of).
The description of the white undercoat is the real distinction between a
sable and a black sable (the name isn't what I would have called it but I
only follow the rules, I don't make them up)

My problem with black sable is that there isn't at this point an equivalent
for chocolate or champagne.  Eventually the AFA judges will iron this out at
our judge's seminars.  These seminars are where we work to improve
everything we can about judging.  (brag time with my only real politics: its
what seperates us from the other systems so far, though I expect the others
that are emulating it will get better as well <Hi Tracy!  Just inexperience
not a serious problem.  You have had only a year to catch up to over a
decades worth of experience so I'm not trying to put down the GLFA efforts
and accomplishments.>)

>Roxanne is the confusing one.  When i got her 7 weeks ago she was a dark
>chocolate on her legs up to her flanks and on her tail up to her behind.
>Her body had a buttercup yellow undercoat with just the tips of her
>guardhairs being a lighter milk chocolate then her legs and tail.  She had a
>shimmery effect on her back and sides.  If you rubbed her fur against the
>growth all you saw was her undercoat.  Her head was the color of her
>undercoat with her ears being tipped in the lighter color of her body and
>her mask was very distinct but small(more like glasses then a mask) which
>ended in a "V" at her nose.  From what I read in the AFA web page she would
>be a chocolate siamese right? [...]

If the color is the color of milk chocolate than you have a chocolate, if it
is more the color of semi-sweet chocolate or black coffee than you have a
sable.  There are those that seem to be inbetween.  True polecat color seems
to be in-between to sable.  The change makes me think chocolate not sable
though.  Chocolate is the browns between champane and sable.  Even us judges
have troubles with the in-betweeners.  Doesn't really affect championship
showing though it messes up color specialty showing.  None of course affects
any pet-like qualities.  We had a Swedish jill that appeared to be a
beautiful black sable point until she had kits when she became a beautiful
white undercoated chocolate point.  You have the pattern down exactly
although the preferred name is point.  Sounds gorgeous.

>From:    Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Stuff and things
>All my ferrets love to kiss and cuddle me all the time except Pogo. I only
>get one kiss a week from him...  and this is what happens....
>SPIT!::::::SPAT!:::::::POO POO!::::::::falls over!:::::::goes

Maybe he doesn't like your toothpaste <grin> (That was a cute story)

>From:    Maryann Noble <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ferret cages
I'll leave it to others to recommend local cage sources.  Most of the mail
order cages are shorter though Safeguard will custom design cages so you
can try them.

The best source of a sorted list of shelters is the AFA shelter list
(Pam's STAR* list is equally or more complete but harder to search for just
shelters) and is available online at http://www.ferret.org/afashltr.htm
This is list is non-partisan and includes any shelters Fran Wiles knows
about.  She always welcomes updates to [log in to unmask]  From that page...

North West Jersey Ferret Haven      Director: Jane Casale
Ogdensburg, NJ (201) 827-9330

It's Raining Ferrets Shelter        Directors: Bolton/Fitzgerald
Mt. Holly, NJ (609) 265-1196

Ferret Lifeline Shelter             Director: Ellen Demchak
Wantage, NJ (201) 702-0553

Itty Bitty Critter Rescue           Directors: Richard & Nancy Joyce
Toms River, NJ (908) 341-6960

T.J.'s Ferret Haven                 Director: Rollen Mason
Dennisville, NJ (609) 861-1020

Ferret Shelter                      Director: Beth Dysinger
Clifton, NJ (201) 440-4631

Fuzztek's Ferret Rescue & Adoption  Director: Yvonne DeCarlo
New Milford, NJ (201) 836-8682

Only one I can think of that might be missing is Pete Koch if he still
does any rescue work.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]

[Moderator's note: Pete Koch is in Pam's STAR* list. BIG]