From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 1996 09:15:04 -0500
THE ADVICE DISPENSED BY MYSELF IN REFERENCE TO FML POSTINGS IS NOT MEANT TO
SUPPLANT THE ADVICE OF VETERINARIANS WHO ARE IN CHARGE OF THE PATIENT.  IF
THE PATIENT IS NOT CURRENTLY UNDER THE CARE OF A VETERINARIAN, THE CLIENT IS
RECOMMENDED TO TAKE THEIR FERRET TO ONE.

>From:    John Rosloot <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: looking for urine acidifying foods
>Howdy.  I posted a while back about Cassie having a slight build-up of a
>reddish residue around her vulva....

This is a very interesting question because it is a rock and hard place
question.  Becuase of the ferret*s short intestinal tract, the choice of
meat based protein is best because the amino acids in meats are more quickly
extracted and absorbed by the ferret intestinal tract.  Vegetable based
amino acids need more time to be broken down than the ferret allows.

Most foods will cause a secondary urine alkalinizing effect (i.e., less
acid).  Certain cat foods have been made to avoid this to prevent urine
crystal formation.  The problem is that these foods have vegetable based
protein as their main ingredient (c/d by Hills, CNM u/r by Purina, etc.) so
they are not the choice of diets for ferrets.

Hills feline growth is meat based and has less of a tendency for alkaline
urine and that may be enough for your ferret.  Another option is the use of
an urine acidifying supplement such as Methigel.

>From:    "Cinda B. Beach" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Dr. Williams please advise
>About a month ago I noticed a red spot on my little girl ferret's rear end.

Yes it could be related to the anal gland.  It is probably best to be
biopsied.  I think a urine sample would be in order and it would avoid
anesthesia.  Although blood work may be needed for the abnormal behavior, at
2 years of age a routine geriatric panel is probably not needed.

>From:    Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: short faces (resend)
>VETS: It struck me that in all the discussions of hind end weakness I don't
>recall any mention of adhesions (as a response to earlier surgeries, or
>infection/malformation/other causing chronic infammation)...

I have not read any reports or have had any patients where adhesions were
noted. This is not something reported in dog/cat medicine either. Your
assumption of the short lifespan might be right.

>From:    Mark Zmyewski <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Teeth brushing, weight loss, United Ferret Organization
>Ok.  Next question.  My vet pointed out that Snookie (a 2 yo sable male)
>had some plaque buildup on a couple teeth.  I went to a pet store and
>bought the smallest kitten toothbrush I could find and have brushed both
>ferrets' teeth a few times.  The plaque on Snookie's teeth may have to be
>scraped, I think,

For cats we recommend twice a week. It seems to work well for ferrets also.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH.