Date:
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 10:20:32 -0700
You know, you just have to wonder why the world is picking on ferrets.
Now, maybe it's because I only look at the world of ferrets, but it seems
like these guys are gettin singled out for no reason [with the exception
of other bigger exotics, which are also banned losts of places, i.e.
lions, tigers, alligators, ect., those kind of animals].

Ferrets only carry diseases that are dangerous to other ferrets, to the
best of my knowledge, so that can't be it.  They aren't agressive towards
humans, unless mistreated.  And using that logic, you would think they
would ban dogs and parrots [of course, I'm not advocating banning dogs or
parrots... just ignorance, lol].

One has to wonder why ferrets get singled out for banning.  It makes me
think that politicians are just ignorant of this creature.  Since there
can't be much benefit, politically, from banning ferrets, one just has to
wonder why?

What does New Zealand have to gain by banning ferrets?  What does
California, or New York City [what exactly DID Juliani have against
ferrets?] have to gain?  It just boggles my mind.

If anybody could tell me what their supposed reasons are for these bans,
I would be glad to be clued in because, for the life of me, I just can't
figure it out.

 ...Now, on the opposite end of the spectrum, I think it would be a great
thing to classify ferrets as exotics, making owning them something that
requires a license or permit.  This would ensure that ferrets wouldn't be
bought up like pet rodents, and then deemed as expendable.  People would
have to have some knowledge of the animal they are buying, and know that
they are not easy or cheap to take care of.  There would be less
spontaneous ferret sales.  A very good thing, if you ask me.  I would
love to see the saddening amount of homeless ferrets reduced.  I see
lots of homeless ferrets on this list from time to time, which lets me
know that the number of homeless ferrets in the real world must be
exponentially higher.

I feel the same way about dogs and cats.  With breeders and puppy mills in
place, the euthanization of these animals will never decrease.  Breeders
serve some function, I guess, but when people only look to buy "purebred"
animals, "mutts" and "alley cats" somehow become expendable.  Life is
life.  In our own human society, we have laws that prevent discrimination
of people because of "mixed race"... It makes you wonder what we're
thinking.

The whole mess makes me sad...

Roary
Caring for his own nine ferrets
just because he loves them, without needing
or wanting a check from anyone
Albuquerque, NM