From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 2004 14:44:33 -0400
No, we've had ones from there (MF) with personalities across the board,
ditto other breeders of a range of sizes.  Sometimes I think that some
individuals are just more shy or more afraid, as in humans, but sometimes
I think it depends much more on how they are treated at the distribution
centers and the stores.  We do keep a closer eye on ones you are
frightened easily (ditto ones who bite, which can be related) in case
there is a hidden medical problem or dental problem as the cause.  We
had one like your little one and although it took time she became one of
the most trusting of all of our's though she always scared more easily
than others.  When she was terminally ill she wouldn't let me put her
down during her last 12 or more hours, that is how close she became.  We
were in constant physical contact during that time.  I completely adored
her and she returned that even more.

Ferrets can create so much heartache because they are worth it!  It's
just because they create so much love.  We've had ferrets in our family
for 23 years this month and have not considered not having them.  Are
there people who stop or stop for a while?  Yes.  The most common
scenario in that case seems to be people who get caught up in ferret math
early on: people who have more than three in their first five years with
ferrets.  They often wind up not having the savings they need for medical
care (which around here seems to be average about $5,000 over a lifetime
now, so maybe about $3,000 over a lifetime in cheaper areas), and they
tend to have a lot of ferrets in the same age bracket, so when the ferret
hit late middle age at 5 years or early old age at 6 years they suddenly
have a lot of sick ferrets to care for at once, all the expense hitting
at the same time, and all the heartbreak of seeing their entire four
footed family sick or dying all around the same time.  The sheer
concentration of hardship makes it too painful.  Are there other things
which can cause a lot of illnesses at once?  Sure: ECE, ADV, the unusual
form of lymphoma which clumps (We've had that happen twice in our
family.), or infections can all do that, but getting a lot of ferrets
around the same age is something which should only be done by people who
know what the heck they are doing and getting themselves in for, because
it is the mark of people who didn't learn first and are setting
themselves up for trouble.  (Anyone here in that category should be
careful to learn about health problems beforehand and to save diligently
because the veterinary insurance does NOT cut it since it doesn't cover
the most common expensive health problems.)

Honestly, for the most part (Individuals vary.) I have NEVER run into
a species which enjoys life as fully as ferrets do.  From some work of
others it sounds like some other mustelids can be the same way, esp.
otters and martins, but for someone in a family who remind people each
day that everyday life if full of joy there is nothing like a ferret.

BTW, we have a sick one now who is an incredible survivor, Sherman.
Shermie is getting 24/25 doses of assorted meds in each 24 hour period
now (infection worsing long term IBD, and the combo causing such bad
reflux and rapid watery runs that he was losing his Addison's meds too
fast).  The days alternate on three meds, BTW.  He is improving vastly
(Remember that he almost died more than once before we got to this
extreme med combo.  ) and yesterday began playing Mr. Sockie Head where
he shoves his head into a short sock and walks around blindly doing that
heh-heh-heh laugh they make.  He also rolled over to beg some nutrient
treats.  One of his meds we call his "kissy-belly-fix".  That is his
Carafate suspension.  There is a manufacturer's version available from
any pharmacy which works marvelously and which they usually don't mind
much.  He gets it and we hold him for a few seconds, then his ears go up,
his eyes get wide and he splats kisses all over us.  The comfort it gives
by patching GI lesions when needed is marvelous and is really that fast.

Shron: If you go to the FML Archives (addy in the header of all FMLs) you
can look up health charities/ veterinary donations/etc.  and find a
number of places to which one can donate to help advance ferret health
care.  There are ones on ADV and the work in GA (Check for posts from
Danee esp.  on this work.).  Ones on the Morris Animal Foundation.  Ones
on the very important ferret tissue bank at the AFIP.  At Michigan State
Matti Kiupel is doing fine work.  You'll find others, as well.  There is
a lot more ferret work being done at many veterinary school universities
now.  If you don't own a vet text, yet, you'll find that you can also get
a feeling for who does such work and where it is being from the