From:
Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1993 11:09:58 -0500
To Phil Gentry and other interested folks -

        I have noticed lately a lot of talk about chemicals that we use on
ferrets.  Here are a few thoughts and what I use at home -

        Petroleum distillates - NO
        Organophosphates - NO
        Carbamates - NO
        Pyrethrins - YES.

        I have been using pyrethrin-based shampoos on ferrets, puppies, and
kittens (even under the age of one week) for years.  They are very safe, and
that is what I use on my own ferrets.  Pyrethrins are derived from
chrysanthemums.  Actually, most pyrethrins are now made synthetically.
Remember, everything is a chemical of some sort, and too much of anything can be
toxic (even oxygen).  Use pyrethrin-based compounds when needed (for fleas), if
you don't need it, then use a mild shampoo - we have been using Johnson's Baby
Shampoo at our house for years.

To Pete and Ashley concerning colds:

        Yes, ferrets can pick up a human cold or flu.  The flu generally last
about two weeks, and shows the same signs as in humans - runny nose, cough,
stuffed up head, aversion to light, watery eyes, etc.  Some cases can progress
to pneumonia if the infection is severe.  When an animal has such a severe
productive cough, I would suggest a trip to the vet to make sure it doesn't have
pneumonia, or an unrelated problem - such as congestive heart disease.
Antibiotic treatment f severely affected animals is a good idea.

        When our ferrets get colds - we will generally try to keep them isolated
and out of the draft.    We almost always start them on Amoxicillin for 7-10
days to prevent a bacterial infection from cropping up in an animal with a
stressed immune system.

        Concerning allergy to Christmas tree - although it could happen - I've
mixed Christmas trees and ferrets for years and apart from the usual disasters,
I've never had a problem.

To Art the Human who is facing an exploratory on his ferret:

        I've never put much faith in the insulin/glucose ratio in the ferret.
Although in many cases it will be off the scale - in a lot of instances it will
be non-contributory.

        A glucose of 42 is bad.  If it was in one of my ferrets (I did have one
in the fifties, once), I would go in.  It's worth it to get a biopsy of that big
spleen, but I'll bet you a dollar to a doughnut that there will be a pancreatic
tumor in there also.  Prednisone is generally only a short term solution.  I
know that $300 is a lot of money, but you seem like the kind of guy that will
spend it if necessary.  If I was in your shoes, and I have been from time to
time, I would.

To Judy concerning raisins -

        Yes, you are right.  One or two raisins a day is tops for our guys, and
they rarely get even that.  Ferrets do not tolerate fiber very well, being true
carnivores (would that they acted like that) and have a very short colon.  Too
much fiber gives them loose stools.
Thanks for remembering....

And now to all of my friends on the list:

        I thought that I would step out of character with Christmas so close at
hand, and talk about my ferrets for a moment (no, I don't just have a lot of
books on ferrets for all of you who thought that).

        I've got six ferrets here in the house, and a wonderful wife who makes
sure that they get all of their "quality time".  In fact, her day doesn't even
start until they have had their two hours of playtime with both humans and
ferrets.

        Here's the list:

        1.  Oscar - the old man at 7, and we've had him for four years now.
He's also a bit on the overweight side, due to his desire to eat baby food and
grapes, as well as his usual chow.  He's off to have his teeth cleaned tomorrow.
 He's an MF ferret, and has never had any health problems.  And he's the most
well-mannered of the bunch.

        2.  Yogi - 3 year old male sable - here with us for 2 and a half years.
(BTW - all of our ferrets came from rescue shelters).  Yogi is a mischeivous
climber with a propensity for eating plastic - had surgery last year, and has
perfected the blank look (although we never believe it because he is always up
to something).

        3.  Mitt - Black eyed silver mitt - almost three - came here with Yogi.
Loves my wife - loves to torment me.  I can't hold him or even get out of the
shower with him around.  He may be the smartest - has devised many games to play
with my wife and taught many of the others to dive for objects at the bottom of
a shallow dish of water.

        4.  Bob - 4 year old black eyed silver mitt - Dumb as a post but
lovable.  Will do anything for Linatone.  He's very vocal also, especially in
the litter box.  He can wake you up from a sound sleep in the middle of the
night.  Not everyone in the house gets along, but everyone tolerates Bob.

        5.  Murphy - The slinky sable - never makes any noise.  Came to our
house three months ago with Bob and Scampi.  She doesn't seem to have much of a
personality, but it's still early to tell.  She spends most of her time sneaking
around the place and running under furniture.

        6.  Scampi - A tiny (0.75 lbs.) blind sable.  She came to us with an
adrenal tumor and a pancreatic tumor, which have since been removed. She's grown
back all of her hair and is a ball of fire (which hits the occasional wall
dead-on).  We got Bob, Scampi, and Murphy from a Secret Service agent whose
schedule had become too difficult for him to pay them the proper attention.

        Tonight, we have our annual holiday event.  One of the ferrets will get
to put the star on top of the Christmas tree (okay, okay, so I help a little.
Colleen operates the camera).  This year it will probably be Oscar, as he is the
oldest, and we are afraid he may not be around for next year's tree trimming.
MacGregor did it two years ago, and Mouse one year ago - neither are still here,
but we do have some wonderful memories.

        At this point, I just want to wish all of the members of the FML a very
happy holiday season from me, my wife Colleen, and the rest of the Williams
family.  A special holiday wish to those who have lost ferrets this year, may
the next year bring nothing but joy and happiness.  I want to thank everyone for
letting me chime in on the list this year, and hope that some of you have
benefited from the comments that I have made here.

        The histopathology cases are starting to come in from around the
country, but we are still far from being overloaded.  (However, no more fecal
samples, please!!! After three to five days in transit, well, you can imagine...
 When next I need feces, I'll let you know..)

        To my friends on the FML, my emailbox is always open, and my phone is
always right there on my desk.  Happy holidays!!!

Bruce Williams, DVM
[log in to unmask]    (202) 576-2453/2454