From:
Casey's Mom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 1996 14:41:52 -0400
Ferrets in Calif.

I think CDFA1 is being attacked unfairly here.  The original message from
the person wanting information on getting a ferret in California was posted
to a public bulletin board on America Online.  ANYBODY with AOL access could
read it, including our pals at Fish and Game.  Several people, not just
CDFA1, told the poster that it was a bad idea to post on a public board
because 1) Fish and Game could come after them and their possible future
ferrets and 2) because no one would be likely to help anyway since the
poster could have been a "plant" from Fish and Game.  Then CDFA1 and the
poster had the e-mail conversation that CDFA posted to the FML.  THEN the
orignal poster posted more messages on the public boards telling us all to
get lives (have one, thanks) and making some sick jokes about catching and
eating ferrets with his Fish and Game buddies.

Now, to the points:

1.  Ferrets are illegal in California.  Several each year get killed by the
state for no reason at all, in spite of the best efforts of ferret rescuers
to convince the various state agencies to send them out of state at no
expense to the state.  The danger to California ferrets is REAL, not
imagined.

2.  California ferret owners MUST, *at the very least*, take all possible
precautions to safeguard their own ferrets.  The original poster in this
tempest showed no interest in doing so, and called us all paranoid when we
suggested he should be careful.

3.  California ferret owners SHOULD contribute to the legalization effort.
Obviously not everyone could or would devote as much time and effort and
money to it as people like CDFA1 and others do.  I don't think CDFA1 is
asking us all to become ferret saints.  HOWEVER, to take NO interest in the
legalization efforts, which the original poster stated clearly, to NOT CARE,
to not even want to hear important information to keep his own future
ferrets safe, is completely reprehensible.  I don't devote as much time as I
feel I should to ferret legalization, but I do keep up on it, I do donate
what money I can, I do write letters to politicians.  I *care*.  The
original poster clearly said he *doesn't* care: and if you have ferrets in
California and don't even CARE about the legalization process, you're
putting those ferrets in danger.

Could education of the original poster have been handled more tactfully?
Perhaps.  And that is where the effort should be placed: education of ferret
owners and potential ferret owners in California.  It's something to
remember next time we're approached this way, but I can understand CDFA1's
postings completely in this case: I wouldn't have done a bit better at
holding my temper when the original poster was being so completely
irresponsible.

For those who are getting so angry at CDFA1, I suggest you look to your own
heart: what have YOU done for ferrets lately, Californian or not?  Are you
involved in public education?  Ferret rescue?  Do you at least take
exemplary care of your own pets and set a good example?

Casey's Mom