From:
Troy Lynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 09:48:22 -0600
I'm guessing you'll get quite a few responses to your questions.

There can be several things going on with your little one and none of
them have to do with living a spoiled life.  I don't consider being well
cared for and loved as being spoiled, I consider it the way it should
be, the way of life.

When a ferret changes behavior there is always a reason which sometimes
takes time to figure out.

If he has always used the litter box before and now doesn't, it would be
a good time to have a check up.  You mentioned he has insulinoma and it
isn't uncommon for adrenal and insulinoma to run hand in hand in these
little ones.  It is possible his frequent urination is adrenal related,
prostate related, and he may have a urinary tract infection.  Have you
noticed if the amount he urinates is less as well as more often?  If
you've had a bladder infection you will know that it feels like you
have to go all the time but when you do it is only a little at a time.
This may be what he is feeling and why he is trying to go so often.

Another possibility is that he is either losing his site or has pain
that may be limiting his getting into the litter box.

Is he drinking normally or more or less?

Other possibilities could be kidney issues or crystals.

I've had many 7+ yr old ferrets and some do fine with the litter box and
some don't.  Snickers has back end problems but he still tries to make
it into the litter boxes.  I cut the front down so that it is easier for
him to get in.

Placing newspaper or people potty pads (bed liners - many stores carry
them including Walmart, Walgreens, Sams, etc.) under and around the
litter box area are helpful.  I cut the bedliners to size and place
them where they are needed.

Loverboy when he got older couldn't control when he had to go.  He would
be walking and going at the same time and he was totally oblivious to
what was happening.  He was 9 yrs old.  He had a good appetite and he
enjoyed life so I just cleaned up after him and that was that.  I adapted
to his senior needs.

Remember that when there is a change in behavior, something is causing
it.  Many times once the cause is found the behavior can be corrected.
For those times when it can't, well, that is when we need to adapt and
make the best of the situation.

These precious little beings give us so much love and joy throughout
their short lives that we need to be there for them, especially when they
get older and need for us to monitor them more closely and help them be
more comfortable in their golden years.

hugs to all.  tle
www.ferretfamilyservices.org