From:
Jeanne Carley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Mar 1996 13:47:36 -0500
ead the post about breaking the law and can say that I'm in the strange
position of working my tail off for legalization in California but at the
same time fielding lots of calls from CA folks who want to get ferrets.
When I get that kind of call it's a no-brainer.  I tell them that they and
their ferret can be put in jeopardy by the simple fact that "the goods"
someone (neighbor, jilted lover, ex-employee) can have over them will be
those couple of pounds of domesticated fluff.  Their pet can be confiscated
and should they calim it, the cost of shipping the animal out of state can
be as high as $150.00-200.00.  If they don't come forward, the costs shifts
to one of our volunteers!  So I ask these people to please wait, and instead
of getting a ferret, get involved with efforts to overturn this stupid law
because, yes, they do have the RIGHT to choose a ferret in addition to, or
instead of, a dog, cat, horse, goat, pig, or any other domesticated animal
without being penalized for it.

But I also get many calls from heartbroken out of state folks who face an
inevitable move to CA because of a job change or for family reasons.  I
never advise these people to break the law but do I, or any of you, think
that their previously legal, housebound, gentle domesticated pets are going
to turn into wildlife-savaging, baby-eating vicious monsters simply by
crossing California's borders?  Do I, or any of you, think that California
has the right to strip citizens of their PRIVATE PROPERTY?  Because, though
these precious animals are family members, CA law describes domesticated
animals as private property.  So, removing ferrets from citizens, without
due process, is the same as robbing them of their car, thier home, or the
contents of their wallets, with no legal basis.

I think the insane situation was driven home to me when I recently took the
dog to a local veterinarian and in walked a CA Highway Patrol Officer with,
you guessed it, his pet ferret!  I looked out the window and the little
darling had arrived in a Patrol Car.  I had a nice chat with the officer and
his partner and we all shook our heads about the ridiculous situation.  Yes,
the California law criminalizes good people-- some of you might be surprised
to find out who!

Jeanne Carley
Legislative Director, CDFA

[Moderator's note: Well, as someone who had to decide if it was appropriate
to actually post stuff that helps people to "break the law", I thought a bit
about this as well.  I'm *not* happy to see people talking about smuggling
in things other than ferrets, but, let's stick to ferrets for a minute.  I
think it's gotta be an individual decision.  I'll leave you with one example
to ponder:  There are NO drugs approved for ferrets.  The veterinarian who
gives your ferret, say, an antibiotic, is breaking the law.  OK, now we may
know the original reason the law was enacted and conclude it doesn't make
sense if applied to ferrets, thus we or the vet chooses to break the law.  I
don't think a vet would break the law indiscriminanty and simply hand out
drugs for the heck of it, nor would people bring ferrets to CA just to be
"bad", but when we're dealing with the life of a pet... well... are the two
situations very different?  (OK, I admit the FDA stated it doesn't intend to
prosecute such cases, but heck, I liked the comparision :-))  BIG]