From:
Kymberlie Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 1997 18:03:17 -0400
Hello all!

Here's the update on the Giacamo ferret case.  (For any newcomers, a ferret
in Norristown bit a vet tech, and the vet insisted that they would call
animal control).

The vet called Maureen, the ferret's owner, today.  He said that animal
control told him that if the vet tech did not want to press the issue (i.e.,
kill the ferret) that they would NOT kill Giacamo, provided that (1) the vet
tech goes to a physician, and the physician says that he feels that there
isn't any danger, and (2) that Maureen write a letter (I assume to animal
control) stating that Giacamo has never been out of the house, in contact
with any animal that could have given him rabies, and that Giacamo has
bitten others in the past with no adverse problems.

Maureen also told me that the vet seemed "odd" on the phone, as if this is
not the way he wanted this to turn out.  She suspects that he has received
pressure from somewhere (ferret people calling him, or the vet that owns the
practice) encouraging him NOT to press this issue.  When Maureen started to
tell him that she's been in touch with many people lately about the issue,
and that she's learned the facts about rabies and ferrets, the vet became
angry with her and said that the people that she has been talking to don't
know what they are saying.  It also turns out that Giacamo has an adrenal
tumor (it will be taken care of ASAP), which the vet failed to diagnose at
this infamous visit, and when Maureen told him this on the phone he said
that whoever said he has adrenal problems doesn't know what they are talking
about.  (Trust me, the source of this information DOES know what they are
talking about!)

This is simply a case of a *very* un-ferret-friendly veterinarian.  He does
not belong in a practice which advertises as "specializing in exotic pet
care." On that note, the other vet in this practice, Dr. Craft, is not the
wisest choice of a ferret vet either.  He IS ferret friendly, and he would
like to treat them, however, he mis-diagnosed an adrenal tumor in Maureen's
other ferret, that just passed away two weeks ago.  He performed two
exploratory operations on this ferret to fix a bad spay, never finding
evidence of a bad spay either time; he did not find anything wrong with the
adrenals either (I don't know if he even looked at them...kinda hard to
miss).  Her symptoms were swollen vulva and hair loss.  He sewed her back
up, only to get sicker and sicker and finally pass away.

This veterinary practice is the Trooper Veterinary Hospital, in Norristown
PA.  The vet's name that was trying to put Giacamo to sleep after the bite
is Dr. Michael Herman, and the other vet is Dr. Craft (he's the one that
tries but isn't the best choice of ferret vet.) I ask everyone, PLEASE do
not contact this vet's office on *any* matter until Giacamo is safe and
clear, once the physician examining the vet tech gives the OK and Maureen
writes the letter.  After that, call them if you like, express your
disappointment at the way they tried to kill Giacamo, and that they allow
their vet techs to unsolicitedly touch an animal that the owner has
previously stated bites.  (Note here: do not be harsh about the vet tech.
She has never stated any desire to put the ferret to sleep, and she seemed
to be "ferret friendly" prior to the appointment.  I do not think she had
anything to do with this whole mess.  In fact, right after the bite,
Maureen's friend said "are you OK???" and the vet tech said "Oh, it's okay,
I'm fine..." and then the vet forcably pulled the vet tech from the room,
and when he came back from speaking with her, she was not with him, and he
told Maureen's friend that he was going to have to call animal control and
the ferret would be put to sleep.) Also, if anyone wants to call the vet's
office to try to educate them, that's fine too (as long as it is after
Giacamo is safe!) but I do plan on making up some educational materials and
taking them up there myself.  Again, sorry to repeat this so much, but do
not contact the vet's office until Giacamo's safety is guaranteed.  This vet
does not respond well to any opposition or attempts at education.

Anyway, this sounds like it's going to be another victory!  Pennsylvania
apparently operates under the policy that if a bite victim does NOT want to
have the animal killed, the state will not insist on it.  It's the choice of
the vicitm.  We do not have that in writing, but that is what Chris Palaski
(pennsylvania IFRIC volunteer) has been told, and now that is what Animal
Control told Dr. Herman.  It's not a quarantine law, but it's better than
Michigan!  I'll keep everyone posted.

By the way, Maureen wanted me to tell everyone that she is so impressed by
the entire ferret community.  She knows very little about ferrets (but she
is trying to learn, and has already made great strides!) so she is not on
the internet, she doesn't subscribe to any ferret publications, and she
didn't know about ferret shows.  She is amazed that so many people that
don't know her or Giacamo have been calling her, offering advice and
support, and generally fighting to keep her ferret alive.  She said that
"ferret people are like a family...they are so supportive!" Let's all take a
lesson from her; we are like a family, we may bicker at times, but we are
all drawn together by a strong love of one thing: ferrets.  Let's never lose
sight of that!  Thanks everyone for pulling together once again for another
ferret in need.

Kymberlie Becker
Director, Pennsylvania Ferret Rescue Association
"Forget Puppy Love...There's nothing Greater than Ferret Love!" TM
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/ferretlady