From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 1997 18:57:56 -0500
Pam Troutman: PLEASE, see note on Nebraska and mail a copy of Compendium to
her and I'll mail out another letter.  Guess I'll have to buy a number of
copies of the Compendium from you if I may for later letters to those which
aren't informed.

ALL: Remember in any correspondence with the folks who set policy that WE
NEED these people, so BE POLITE!  We seem to be getting to the state
officials who were unaware of the '98 Compendium.

States which have replied to me:

- Alabama immediately;
- Alaska has not reviewed the Compendium yet
- California has to have more (perhaps many more) published studies as well
  as the Compendium published;
- Colorado has a 30 day quarantine and will go to 10 day on publishing of
  the Compendium;
- Hawaii has multiple departments involved just as CA does because of the
  illegality so they couldn't say;
- Idaho already has a quarantine for vaccinated ones but did not comment on
  any changes with the Compendium change;
- Illinois passing on letter to Dr. Bromwell of the IL Dept. of Agriculture
- Indiana rabies policy arranged by two different departments; so far neither
  has any objection to the Compendium recommendations so rule change process
  will be initiated in January; process takes a minimum of six months due to
  law requirements
- Iowa will go with the Compendium on publication;
- Kansas is required to have everything in published form and then go
  through a lot of bureaurcratic mumbo-jumbo  but hopes to have one in March;
- Kentucky immediately;
- Maine in January '98;
- Massachusetts has a 10 day quarantine
-  Missouri (He called me.) "Yes." but did not say how soon or if immediate;
  Montana will go with Compendium but did not say if now, at receipt, or on
  publication;
- Nebraska has a LOT of conflicting messages coming out.  First they sent
  only the old policy and did not address any of the questions, then Bill
  McKinster told Diane Rogers that the state would comply with the Compendium
  immediately, then today Betty Wisell (fax 1-402-471-3577, Credentialing
  Division, P.O. Box 94986, Lincoln Nebraska 68509) said that she needs both
  my original letter (Guess the first place trashed it.) and the Compendium
  to reply.  SHE DOESN'T HAVE A COPY OF THE 1998 COMPENDIUM!
- New Hampshire has its old law (vaccinated ferrets only and for 45 days) by
  law so they have to put through a new law to improve that which has state
  vet support and which will be in place by mid-'98 at soonest;
- New Jersey (by phone and two letters) immediately;
- New York in effect early '98
- Ohio immediately;
- South Dakota upon release of the Compendium
- Texas has a 30 day quarantine and expects the 10 day one to be in place in
  late Spring.
- Virginia immediately
- Vermont asking for rapid Emergency Rule Change and then going through
  formal procedure
- West Virginia state health dept. can only make recommendations (Did not
  give specifics of recommendations -- only said that informational paper
  should reach local dept.s in mid-Dec.; the local dept.s are autonomous;
  only dogs and cats are covered by statute
- Wisconsin immediately
- WY immediately