From:
Lisa Oestereich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 2010 16:36:38 -0400
Just two weeks after that horrible apartment fire in Massachusetts,
Diane Wall of South Shore Ferret Care got another desperate call for
help. Someone had found a ferret outside in 12-degree weather with
sleeting rain and high winds.

"She was walking her dogs out in the woods and let them off lead into
the clearing," Diane recalled. "The dogs went to something way out and
were sniffing, would not come back to her. When she went to find out
what they were doing she saw a small ferret frozen in the slush with
his nose poking out. She touched him with her foot assuming he was dead
and he moved his head. She took him out of the frozen puddle, tucked
him in her coat and ran towards her car. Her husband was yelling at her
that he could have rabies or something. She didn't care - she was a
retired vet tech and needed to get him warmed up and quick. She brought
him home and wrapped his paws in warm face cloths and massaged him up
and down to get his blood flowing. She spooned warm sugar water in to
his mouth until she got him licking. That was when the phone rang and
it was me calling her back. She was a couple of towns away and I was at
work. She actually drove him to my vet's office and by the time he got
to them, she had worked his temp back up to normal and he had a good
blood sugar. He stayed there for the day and when I picked him up after
work he was stable and eating AD can food with some of the dry soup mix
that I leave at the vet's for just such an emergency."

"We named him Norwood O'Brien after the town he was found in and the
vet tech who rescued him. At the time, he was about nine months old.
He's just had his first birthday and is staying with me as an
educational mascot. Some of the funds from the SOS donation paid for
his emergency care."

Your support of SOS DIRECTLY helps little ones in need all over the
country. A nine month old baby furkid, just starting his life, a
complete stranger with a big heart who couldn't let the 9th month be
the last, Diane Wall who coordinated his rescue and gave him a home and
SOS who was there to assist with the vet bills to help save Norwood
O'Brien's life. Now that's synergy - definitely poetry in motion.

JUST ADDED to the SOS summer raffle, prize #20 - a handmade bedding and
toy set inspired by the lovely and talented Isabella Gucci-Jones in her
favorite, sparkly colors. Sure to please any fashionable ferret, here
is a gorgeous handmade bedding and toy set. Libby Nelson made the
beautiful three-piece bedding set out of a beautiful shimmery pink
butterfly pattern with purple fleece. Six toys made by Libby are also
included - they jingle, rattle, or crackle for total ferret pleasure!
Lynn Toole at <http://www.thehideyhole.com/>
made the Lap of Luxury sleep sack and floor cube. Staci Sharp of
<http://www.crinkletunnels.com/>
made the crinkle tunnel - all in Isabella's honor. This prize set was
donated by Heather Pittman. Thank you, Heather!

Check out the other great prizes too, like:

A deluxe travel carrier and travel kit, donated by Cathy Ryan

A $40 shelter store gift certificate at the Lakeroad Ferret Farm &
Rescue Shelter Shop and handmade rattle eggs, donated by Susann Thiel

A beautiful 5 pc. Set of 4th of July decorations for your home, donated
by Cathy Ryan

A toy collection for the HOOMAN kids...donated by Cathy Ryan

Wonderful Weasel Laundry Soap, donated by Diane Wall

Ferret Care Package with Diane's dry dook soup, donated by Diane Wall

A beautiful solid wood office or desk organizer box, with nine
interior compartments and a pull out drawer on the bottom with three
compartments. Also included are Jeanne Carley postcards, a letter
opener, butterfly paper clip, Deva postcards, a ferret face address
book, a hand painted ferret paperweight, a sheet of ferret wrapping
paper and two packs of sticky pads. Donated by our very good friends
Cathy Ryan and Cindy & Tom Scheidt of the Ferret Villa Shelter.

And many, many more prizes. So check out our blog at:
http://www.supportourshelters.blogspot.com/

Support Our Shelters' Summer 2010 raffle will run from May 18 until
June 30. The lucky winning tickets will be drawn by Bill Gruber.
Winners will be notified by email or phone, and announced by July 2.

Tickets cost just $1 each, or six for $5. You can allocate your tickets
any way you want! Your ticket numbers will be provided to you shortly
after your purchase.

Use Google Checkout to purchase tickets. Or, you can send a check
payable to Support Our Shelters to this address:

Support Our Shelters
c/o Lisa Oestereich
10010 Markham St.
Silver Spring, MD 20901

If you send a check, remember to include your email address or a
phone number! Please also NOTE THE NUMBER/S # OF THE PRIZE(S) you
are entering for! Checks must be received SOS on or before June 23.

IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT SHIPPING!! - The cost of shipping beyond U.S.
borders is increasingly expensive and may be prohibitive for some of
our prize donors. Therefore, we regret that we can only pay for
shipping to the point in the U.S. that is closest to your destination.
For example, if you are located in Toronto and win a prize, we can pay
the postal fees to Buffalo, N.Y. and you will be asked to cover the
difference. We ask prize winners outside the United States to be aware
of this before purchasing tickets, and we are very grateful for your
understanding.