From:
Joanne Ruffner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 15:57:04 -0700
Hello everyone!

I have a couple of things to say....first...I want to say that I love
this list!  I have "met" some wonderful people on here and wouldn't
trade it for the world.

There was a person last month looking for a way to have her ferrets out
without getting into everything well...I just happen to stumble on to
this site here....don't know if they work or if you could make them
cheaper...but kinda a neat idea (though I think that the poop in the
corners would add up quick!)
http://www.pets4you.com/pages/pal.html

Someone was looking for cross stitch patterns with ferrets... Check out
http://morgandesigns.homestead.com/index.html
I think you can email them and get info on ferret designs.

I received the Jen Morrison tape the other day (by the way...is she
operating again?).  I began to see some things that really bothered me
about the whole "case".  Now, please remember...I was not on this list
then, nor involved in any way with the ferret rescue.  I do NOT understand
why the Humane Society said that she didn't neglect the ferrets and that
they were all healthy when they arrived.  From my understanding they were
not taken to a vet until they reached shelters around the US.  How could
they say that then?  Why was she not charged for the neglect of the
animals?  From all of the stories on the FML I have learned that the
ferrets were sick and some died.  Then why was she not charged?

The reason that she was only fined such a small amount was because she
was only charged with "minor" things ...IMO.  She didn't have the proper
license, too many animals in one place and nuisance charge because of
the smell.  That was it.  She wasn't charged with neglect/abuse of the
animals.  Why?  Well, I don't know that answer.  Maybe someone else can
help me with that one.

I am upset with the Humane Society.  I felt that she should have been
charged with more.  She got away with what she did...not because of the
judge....but IMO because of what was charged against her.  She was fined
the maximum on all counts she was convicted of and put on probation with
the $500.  fine.  The judge did what the law allowed him to do.  He
didn't "let her off" from what she was charged and convicted of.

I hope that this never happens again...though of course in my heart I
know it will...either with her or someone else.  I also know that the FML
people will step forward once again to provide assistance to the animals.

Joanne
Spice, Pepper, Bugz, Dodge, Kuri, Chocolate and Tonka