From:
Jaclyn D Vanderhoef <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 1997 21:59:05 -0500
Hello.
I have been reading the FML for awhile now but this is the first time I have
posted.  I have one ferret presently (8 month old male, Kif) and am waiting
to for a local shelter to find another in need of rescue.

While reading for a class I found this fuzzy reference in The Godfather by
Mario Puzo: In the crowd of guests, a dapper young man with the sleek head
of a ferret was also studying the silk purse.  (Ch.  1)

Also, I was disturbed by a page that I found on the net.  Of course, it was
someone's ferret page.  It was well layed out, however, the information in
it needed some serious going over.  It is the Sunshine Lovell Ferret Page.
Under ferret facts, it said ferrets lived to 14 years.  It also said that
Totally Ferret is much more epensive than cat food.  This is not what anyone
I know has come to experience.  In any case, it recommended cat food, as
opposed to kitten food or a mix.  It said to use baby no tears shampoo at
LEAST once a week.  Wouldn't this severely dry out their skin?  I know
people have recently been discussing not bathing their ferrets at all, I
simply bathe mine when he stinks (every three or four weeks).  And what is
wrong with standard ferret shampoo.  It is not expensive nor is it difficult
to find.

This page is obviously geared towards people unknowledgeable about ferrets
and it doesn't mention that there are Ferret Free Zones out there.  And, I
found this quote most upsetting,

"If you are not able to provide adequate attention to play and exercise your
ferret you may need to consider purchasing another one." I understand the
person writing this meant well, but if you don't have time for one ferret,
you shouldn't have one, let alone TWO.

As I said, this page has good intentions and I don't mean to be ignorant but
it needs better information, especially when people go to it to decide if a
ferret is right for them.  If you want to find this page the adress is as
follows: http://www.sisna.com/users/dlovell/ferret.html#index

Thanks for reading this long-winded message.  Any feedback would be
appreciated.

Jacki