From:
"Mustang Charl;ie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 07:20:05 -0800
Debra Tomason wrote:
>Often enough we see strongly worded disagreements or even flames.

The problem with 'flames' is that everyone has a different opinion as to
what constitutes a flame.  I have had people e-mail me and ride my rails
about a flame in a post when all I said was, 'I disagree'.  Some people
simply don't like the suggestion that their opinion is incorrect or
lacking, or needs adding to, or....... so anyone who gives an opinion
contrary to theirs is flaming.

People can get most indignant about most any subject.  That is the nature
of people.  However, when I get upset is when I receive a 'hateful' message
about some subject I have expounded upon, a misguided individual who feels
they must call into question my parentage, or my manhood, or my fitness to
be a member of the human race, etc..  I believe the way to deal with them
is to ignore (which doesn't help, IMHO) or............post the damning
message, sender and all.  Very quickly that individual will be shown to be
a fool and will eventually go away as people will not interact with them
any longer.  I can't believe that there are all THAT many really bad flames
that would fall into this category so FML usage would probably be kept to a
minimum.

Please note that many of the 'hateful' flames we *HEAR* about are really
not...someone just didn't like a private message to them, differing from
their own opinion so when written about, to gain sympathy or support on
the FML (or any list), that differing opinion becomes a hateful flame.  As
a good friend is want to type, <SIGH>

We are not alone though.  My sister is a member of several sugar glider
lists and they go through the same thing.  We ferret folk are a highly
opinionated bunch and what is sad about the differences of opinion we have
is that most opinions are basically sound.  Hard to see that when we are
told 'you are wrong'.

Enough already on flames....Did I tell you about the 6 legged

For our ferrets..(and a stronger list!)

MC, The Rude One
(With Garret, Snorkle, and Tuzigoot.  In spirit, Bubba and Billy-Bob)