From:
Paul Lerch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 1995 23:45:56 -0800
Lorraine,
I haven't had the opportunity to introduce Flip to the snow yet but we
recently brought home a large box full of styrofoam peanuts that he loves
to burrow in.  He tunnels around for awhile and then pops his head up to
see if the cats are closing in for the kill yet (they always do eventualy).
When he comes up he invariably has a peanut on his nose which he pretends
isn't there.

Debi,
I was hurting inside while reading your post about your boyfriend's
treatment of his fuzzies.  I can't imagine a worse way to treat any animal.
Love combined with firmness will work better than abuse every time and
this is plainly abuse in my book!  The ferrets are suffering emotionaly
from the treatment they are recieving and, thus, any pre-existing
behavioral problems are being made worse.  I don't know if this is
reportable behavior but I *can* ask, "WHY ARE YOU WITH SOMEONE WHO BEHAVES
LIKE THIS???".  Maybe when you leave him (hint, hint) you can take the
ferrets with you or find them good, loving homes.  Good luck, I know this
is hard to witness.

Kate,
My roomate's three children (ages 3, 8, and 11) visit our apartment once a
week and play with Flip.  The cats are very happy with this arrangement
because before Flip was around they were the torture victims.  I worry
sometimes about Flip's mental health with all the rough housing, grabbing,
hugging, etc. but when I pay close attention I see that, when they put him
down, he doesn't run away...or, if he does, he is leaping and looking
behind to see if they are following (which he obviously wants them to do).
In reality I can see that he is fine and it is me that needs to take a
chill pill.

Gary,
Ditto and thanks for the reply to Debi!

Flip's winter coat seems to be still comming in!  When he wakes up, his
head is round and poofey like a dandelion gone to seed...very funny.

Paul

P.S.  Shithead...I mean Flip says, Hi!

      "The tide is turning...the enemy is suffering terrible losses..."
                                                -- Gen. Geo. A. Custer