From:
Heather Gilbertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2008 23:30:19 -0700
I too, have dogs & ferrets (3 dogs=2 German Shepherd's & a
Basenji/Border Collie mix, & 4 ferrets).

I don't let them mingle, mainly because my dogs are 40lbs, 100lbs &
120-130lbs & I don't want a ferret getting stepped on by accident. I
would caution, as many have said, to closely supervise any dog with
ferrets. I also agree NOT to mix terrier types or hounds with ferrets
at all, or dogs with known aggression. I strongly believe that none of
my dogs would ever intentionally hurt any of my ferrets, but things
happen by accident.

My ferrets have their own room that only the cat can get into. That
way they can romp & play without the possibility of getting stepped
on. I feed my dogs raw on a daily basis, & we have to make sure the
bowls are not too close together to each other. They do not "revert
back to wolves", because of raw, that is a common misunderstanding
about feeding raw. They simply value the food higher. Feeding raw does
not change their personality or make them wild or revert back to wild.
That goes for ferrets & cats that are fed raw too. Raw food holds a
higher value than kibble, kind of like a favorite toy. That said, it is
DEFINITELY a good idea to keep the ferrets away during feeding time.
Even if you have a dog protective of their regular kibble, it's good
to not take that chance.

Heather