From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 2004 06:51:34 -0400
Do ferrets understand words?  I have to admit that I didn't even think
that this might be controversial.  Ferrets are very fast learners, and
I've never seen an animal more anxious to communicate than a ferret.
Although they may chose to ignore you, that doesn't mean that they don't
understand you.

Just the other day, Doc was prancing through the living room.  I called
to him, and he acted like he didn't even hear me, let alone understand.
After the third call, I said, "Do you want this treat or don't you?"
With that he wheeled around and ran full speed to me.

He is also one to try to get into the kitchen cabinet, which we have to
keep taped shut.  He'll scratch and scratch at it trying to pry it open.
About the only thing that will deter him is a light swat on the rear
with a rolled up sheet of newspaper.  Now all I have to do is say, "Doc,
if you don't quit that, I'm going to get the newspaper."  He'll do his
back-up-prance of defiance, then wander off to find something else to
get into.

I can tell them to go find one of the other ferrets by name, and if they
feel like it, they will go off and bring that particular ferret back.
Then both will stand there looking at me as if to say, "OK, now what did
you want?"

I have a friend who could tell their ferret to "go put the toys away,"
and the ferret would round up all of the toys and put them in the "toy
box."

Yes, they do understand words and perhaps even fairly complex sentences.

Dick B.