From:
Katherine Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 1992 14:37:53 -0400
> I have heard that it is illegal to own ferrets in Kentucky.  Can anyone
 corroborate
> this piece of information?  I will be heading to the Kentucky/Indiana area for
> Christmas with my monster (Nibble - 5 month old dark sable) and I would like
> be certain as to her legal status while I am travelling through KY.

I think ferrets are OK in Kentucky, though I'm not positive.  Maybe certain
parts of the state?  I'm sure Chip Gallo can update us.  Is it time to repeat
the Ferret-Unfriendly-List again?

> Oh, BTW, Nibble got her first rabies shot today (IMRAB) and took it like a
 trooper.
> She now weighs 1.8 lbs (up from .8 lbs when I got her) and the vet was
> amazed at the improvement in her temperment.  She really deserved the name
 Nibble
> when I got her for more than her diminutive size (if you also regard a nibble
 as
> 4 bits or half of a byte - sorta like half-pint of Little House on the Prarie
 fame).

What a great name for a ferret!  She sounds like a blast!

OK, my 2 cents about the "sick little article" --
I think the ferret people on this list have got
plenty big senses of humor -- how could you not, and
have ferrets, those wonderful clowns?

However, I disagree that this one posting was either
funny -- in ANY sense -- or something we should "lighten
up" about.  Ferrets get enough bad press as it is, in
states like California & Massachusetts.

I look upon this list as a place to get information, support,
referrals, stories about what our carpet sharks are doing,
how they are doing, and how WE are doing. This is my refuge
from sick jokes like that.  I understand exactly what Chere
means -- she has been working VERY hard under difficult
circumstances and this list is a rest stop for her, a place
where she can find sympathy and support.  A message like
that is very upsetting!!  I can tell you that Chere has
quite a FINE sense of humor indeed -- this is NOT a case of
her taking herself too seriously, she is under a lot of stress.

> I would argue that in this "hour of crisis" that it would behoove
> everyone to have a sense of humor, perhaps?  Besides, I don't see
> the connection between the recipies and your current project of
> helping some ferrets out.

I can tell you that Chere has quite a FINE sense of humor indeed --
this is NOT a case of her taking herself too seriously.  She is
under a lot of stress, and doesn't need us telling her to "lighten
up."  The connection between this and her project is that she is
seeing A LOT of people and pets in distress, and a "joke" about
cooking ferrets is going to make her think about that distress.

> History:  Percy had her adrenal gland removed on May 22nd by Dr.
> Kawasaki.
>
> Now:  She's doing fabulously!  She has gained about 6 ounces, and
> her fur has grown back wonderfully.  She's also more active now than
> she has been in about 2 years, so I really have to wonder how long
> she was actually ill before I noticed any symptoms.

Nancy, this is great news!  It also points up, once again, what
stoics our little carpet sharks are.  Looking back, I realize
that our Bandit must have been sick months before we knew what
was going on.

> are hurting, too)  I had to be strong all day long, and I can't tell
> you how much it helped to be able to come back here at night and tell
> everyone what *I* was going through.  I will never be able to repay
> you for the support you gave me.  I hope that my sincere thanks is
> enough.  I'm sure I would have made it through without your support,
> but I'm really glad I didn't have to.

This is EXACTLY the kind of situation I'm talking about -- this list
is a haven -- sick jokes, even one, is going to cause people distress
that has NOTHING to do with whether the person has a sense of humor
or not.  There are a lot of people who come here looking for help.
It behooves us to HELP them.  Sick jokes are NOT a help.

> In FML issue 315 Urban F. asked:
> >Has anyone done any studies into if ferrets converse with each
> >other using ultrasonics?
>
> I haven't heard of any.  For what it's worth a search on MEDLINE produced
> no applicable references. (Searched on ferret(s) and mutations of mustelidae
> and then crossed it with animal communication or animal vocalization.  The
> couple of hits I got back had nothing to do with ultrasound... in fact, it
> was more like animal communication on the CELLULAR level (and I don't mean
> as in cell phones!)).

Thanks for checking on this, Bill -- it's nice to have you around!
How's Slink doing?

Katie, Jeff, Bandit, Molly, Charlie & Pogo