From:
dayna frazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Nov 1997 19:54:58 -0500
Hi Everybody.....
I am cross posting this to both the FAIML and the FML as this
condition/disease is showing up all over and it's something we need to be
aware of and deal with fast if it hits one of our ferrets!

I didn't see the original post about Sheba's condition..  I am new to the
FAIML list..  but there have been an increasing number of fuzzys in my area
[nr.  Lynchgurg Va.] of ferrets going totally inert with some having total
incontinence as well..  having to be hydrated and fed via syringe some for
days or weeks..  I had this hit only one of my 10 but it hit in hours and
she was so weak it was terrifying..  I put her on woozle goo and hydrated
her with Ringers and ran a course of Augmentin [human clavamox] and she
bounced out of it in about 8 hours..  it tried again a week after she went
off the meds and this time it took longer to hit and answered a little
slower but the Augmentin did the darn stuff in again..  It really scared me
silly..  She still demands the soft food each evening and before this could
take it or leave it..  mostly leave it..  they seem to know when they need
the soup or goo and when it's just an extra they can do without.  Augmentin
[clavamox is just Amoxy with a potassium push for the heart and a blocker so
the action of pennecillinase is not allowed to occurer..  when it is present
in the human or critter it knocks off the Amoxy before it can help the
patient..  the blocker does not allow that to happen so the patient gets all
the benefit of the Amoxy [very over symplified]].  With regard to toxicity
of long term use of antibiotics..  I have had to keep one ferret on
Augmentin for over a month with no side problems..  their gut bacteria is so
primitive they can stay on antibiotics just about forever without problems..
unlike us and other animals..  My Cinny never got to the incontinent stage..
but I have seen some who did and read of one on the fml that was still on
syringe feeding and hydration and still a 'limp rag' after over a month..  I
don't know what this is but it hits fast and selectively and hard!!!  and it
is terrifying when one of your babies gets it so fast..  as long as we feed
them and hydrate them and keep them warm and clean them when incontinent the
just stay like that for what seems like forever..  the Augmentin [clavamox
when from a vet.] seems to knock it out fairly fast..  if the ferret has
been down a long time it takes the clavamox/aumentin longer to knock it
down..  but the ferret recovers and is fine afterwards..  If anyone has any
idea what this is I'd love to be on the list to be told..  in detail..  I
have seen more than 12 and less than 20 ferrets out here with this condition
so far..  but each day or two there is another..  this is what I have
observed and treated..  if your Sheba is different in symptoms then I am
sorry for bothering you about this..  but if it is similar then we need to
start posting to other lists and plotting where it is cropping up..  there
are ferret shows scheduled for the near future and this hits the small
ferrets around here..  and only one here and two there..  only one of my 10
came down with it..  and you can bet I watch them all like a hawk..  this
stuff is scary..  at least to me it sure is!

FWIW.. dayna and the woozles of the MMOMM rescue/shelter