From:
Chuck Renaud <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 1996 18:50:39 -0500
>From:    Carrie Landry <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ferrets and sugar gliders?
>I have recently learned of sugar gliders.  I was wondering if anyone had
>any information on how ferrets get along with sugar gliders.

My experience is that most ferrets would have no problems taking apart a
sugar glider...BUT most sugar gliders won't let themselves get caught in the
first place.  Ferrets wander around at ground level for the most part, while
gliders prefer higher places (shoulders, heads, shirt pockets)...so ours
don't interact very often.  There have been several "confrontations" and
nothing bad has come out of them...we have to worry more about the cats than
we do the ferts.  I would not recommend letting gliders become free-range,
keeping their "out" time as a supervised session.

>I searched the FML archives and found one comment on them not getting along
>well because the glider's are too skittish.  Anyone else heard this to be
>true?  There are so cute and sound like they have pretty neat habits that
>are not too different from ferrets.

Gliders are extremely cute, but they can require a lot more care than
ferrets do.  When you first get a glider (preferably a pair of gliders),
there's a bonding process that must take place...it must learn your scent
and associate that scent with security...it can take anywhere from a few
days to a few months, depending on how much time you spend with them.

Also be prepared for rather high vet bills with gliders...they are exotics
and very few vets have treatment experience with them.  I'm fortunate enough
to be a half-hour away from Midwest Exotics.

Once they've bonded, they will ride around on your shoulder or your
head...run laps around your midsection...sleep in shirt pockets.  They're
VERY observant and learn quickly.  Mine have learned how to "type" after
watching me at the computer and they've shut my alarm clock off SEVERAL
times.  Give them toys with buttons and they're happy as dooking ferts.

Our ferrets are normally let out during the day, while gliders are
nocturnal.  Because of this, there's not that much interaction, and as long
as you give the gliders a SECURE home (large birdcage and NOT an aquarium),
they'll be pretty safe.  I've heard too many stories about people who
thought aquariums with screen covers were sufficient...until the cats proved
that wrong.

And despite being only a few inches long, our gliders are fearless.  They've
swooped down on both the ferrets and cats several times and scared the crap
(literally) out of them.  When agitated, they do a little Godzilla imitation
that consists of a sound like a little electric pencil sharpener, the
spreading of their membranes, and lunging forward to nip.  I'm sure it's
terror-inspiring to those who are inches tall, but it usually makes us laugh
to tears.

Gliders are excellent pets if you are an excellent owner.  They are very
social and require a LOT of time with their owner(s).  I would also NOT buy
one from a pet store.  99% of them charge too much and treat them horribly.
Pick up a copy of Critters USA and there's a list of breeders in the back.
You can pick up a non-related pair of gliders for the same price of a single
one in a pet store.

There is a Glider mailing list and a WWW site you might want to check out:

http://www.chatham.org/isga/

At the moment, the list is down while the ISGA recovers from growing pains,
but there's excellent information at the web site.

Apologies for the tangent...I tried to keep fert content in there.  Please
feel free to contact me privately ([log in to unmask]) if you'd like any
more info.

   / Chuck Renaud <[log in to unmask]> /
 /    http://shoga.wwa.com/~crenaud/    /