From:
"Rose, President, LOS, PA chapter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Apr 1995 06:27:00 UTC
Some time ago I read in a book on "Ferreting" (the art of hunting with the
aid of a ferret) where there was a time where ferrets were muzzled while
working.  The reason was to be certain that even if a rabbit turned on the
ferret (always a tiny female) that the ferret would not be able to do harm
to the rabbit such as kill and eat it.

The description of the muzzle went like this: A long sturdy twine and a
large eyed needle.  They sewed the ferret's mouth shut while they worked.

From what I could gather, the trend didn't last long.  Why?  The jills were
being maimed and killed by the rabbits.  I suppose the ferreters found it
less damaging to their "take" to allow the jill to defend herself if need be.

Personally, I do NOT think muzzling a ferret is the answer.  Teach your pet
how to behave in company or don't expose your companion to outsiders.  I do
educational programs with some of my ferrets.  Mostly I take whole males with
me.  They are such hush puppies and just love being mauled and handled.
Generally, I do the handling, and allow others to pet his back.  But since
many times there are a number of us ferret exhibitors there, my boys are
handled by a number of us in a day.

I was asked to give a ferret talk at the U. of PA Veterinary School this
past Monday.  I took my Danny with me and the vet students all enjoyed
passing him around the room and playing with him.  Just goes to prove:  Not
all intact males are mean.

Anyone wishing a show packet for the June 24 ferret show can email me at:

Rose