From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 13:16:37 -0400
>I am sad to have to tell you that someone with the email addy:

>Has been sending emails ( raher strange ones) around claiming to be me.
>If you get one of these emails it is not from Alicia at Ferret Wise- but
>we are looking into it!

>[Moderator's note: you sure it's not that klez virus again?   BIG]

The Klez virus substitutes in a false addy so that someone other than the
sending source is claimed as a "from" addy, right?  BTW, apparently the
FHL rejected one of those a fews back which claimed to be from me.
Someone with my addy in his or her address book or files has Klez... Are
there other variants which claim names but give non-associated addies?

There were two things I thought of when I read this: virus or imposter.
Remember that I have had on and off problems with an imposter who built
up a false dream life around her(?) version of me (which is not my idea
of a dream life, and also sure doesn't fit with our reality of small
aging condo, current lack of jobs due to dissolution of the Labs, and
many deaths and illnesses in both our two and four footed family this
year).  Folks have had such letters now and then for over ten years, and
one shelter actually had a phone call from a woman claiming to be me
(though that could be someone else since it had a different flavor and
since I know of someone else who had a phone imposter).  I wasn't as
lucky as Alicia in that folks didn't save the mails and headers, but I
sure know that I plan to bring charges once someone does.

Quick note Re: Klez: folks who get such mails should NOT open attachments
if those are present, and should use anti-viral software.  Klez infects
in the Windows world.  If you go into the FML Archives at
http://listserv.cuny.edu/archives/ferret-search.html
You'll find some info on it and I am sure there must be websites and
further info that support services have on it.
-----

Reading about common health problems like insulinoma, adrenal neoplasia,
etc. and their treatments BEFOREHAND saves lives!
-----

IBD: the term "IBD" does not have to mean the same thing in ferrets as in
humans.  I can't recall any of the things written about it by vets which
in any imply that it is the same as what is found in humans.

>Diagnosing paranoid schizophrenia in ferrets that seem to jump from fear
>apparently at random would be just as wrong as calling all things
>intestinal IBD.

Certainly, using the term willy-nilly (as has happened with "IBD", "ECE"
and some other things) is wrong, but it must be remembered that just
because it has the same nomenclature as a human condition does not mean
that has to fit the same profile as the human condition.  I suspect that
such an implication was not intended, but what was written was unclear to
me, having the possibility to be taken more than one way.

>Not surprising you found a way to blame me.  No the post was NOT skimmed.

Not a blame type of thing.  She used multiple qualifiers like "connected"
and more which emphasized the hypothetical aspects and pointed out that
the vet was the origin of the statements, so I found it very clear what
she was saying.  You don't usually miss those sorts of things so I
figured that you were busy and had to skim, as happens with everyone at
times so everyone understands that situation.  No reason to read more
into anything, no reason for assuming that you were jumping on her, no
reason for assuming that I was jumping on you, no reason for worry.

Sukie