Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2013 07:08:59 -0700
I think everyone who has had ferrets long enough to see a few pass has
had the same feelings and emotions. It hurts a great deal to see one
that you love so fiercely pass away. There's a feeling of helplessness
when nothing you can do will save them. There is certainly an emptiness
when they are gone.

However, none of these feelings would be there if they didn't bring
us so much joy and love during their too-short stays with us. These
creatures have the ability to give us so much richness and peace and
happiness that it seems only right to give back as much as possible
to them.

In my shelter, we have one fabulous woman who specializes in taking
in hospice ferrets. She takes them in knowing that their time is very
short indeed. For her, there is great joy in knowing that she can make
whatever time they have left the best it can possibly be, and that
when they do pass, it will open up room for other ferrets equally in
need. It takes a special heart to do that, but it brings her joy and
fulfillment, and gives the ferrets immense comfort and peace to be so
loved.

Yes, there is pain when they pass, but for me, that pain doesn't come
close to matching the joy that they give me while they are here. There
are so many ferrets that need loving homes, I'd urge you to find a
shelter if you can. I don't know what is available where you are, but
if you can find a ferret shelter, you can at least volunteer your time
and get a "ferret fix" at the same time. If you do so, it won't be
long before a special little one claims you for their own.

Kevin Farlee
Washington Ferret Shelter