From:
Stephanie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 14:29:01 -0500
>To those who posted about how their ferrets escaped from the Super Pet
>cages, I have some well-founded advice.  If you do not double lock the
>door (shut the door and then hook the lock over the bar from the
>inside), then they will escape.

While I am sure that this may be the case with some people, I can assure
you it wasn't the case with me.  I am a paranoid person about my ferrets
getting out because we lived on a 3rd floor apartment when we got my
first ferret, the escape artist.  After he got out the first time, I went
back to the instructions that came with the cage to make sure that I had
locked it correctly, I had.  He actually doesn't push on the door, if it
wasn't double-locked this would work.  He cages the bars and rattles and
thumps them until the double lock pops loose and then pushes the door
open.

However, while walking my puppy around petsmart last week and looking
at the super pet ferret kingdom cage, I noticed that they changed the
locking mechanism, so that is actually latches a large amount over one of
the cage bars.  My super pet cage is almost 3 years old, and it doesn't
latch over nearly that much.  So it looks like super pet is improving the
door latch, still can't say whether it would keep my escape artist in.

Stephanie
3 fuzzies and a ferret herder (puppy)