From:
James Hensley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 1995 21:12:24 -0400
I've been lurking around these parts for a couple months now, and I
have really enjoyed reading the FML every morning (black coffee, bagel
and the FML).  Many thanks to Mr. BIG and all of the daily contributers
for making this such a great way to start the day!

To the point:  I just got back from a visit to the vet for Mia (ya ya,
Mia Ferret) and I've got some questions.  First, I have a bit of a
cold and Mia has sneezed a couple of times.  I mentioned this to the
vet and he said it must be Influenza, since ferrets can't get human
colds.  The FAQ says they can, might he be mistaken?  I'm pretty sure
I don't have the flu, but you never know.

The other question I had concerned the amino acid Taurine.  The vet
showed me an X-ray taken of a ferret he had seen today who had a growth
(maybe he said full of fluid?) which had reduced his lung capacity by
80%.  I met the owner, and I think he had resigned himself to the fact
that it was terminal.  Anyways, the vet said that there was significant
evidence linking the lack of taurine in the diet of cats and illness
of this kind (he called it a cardiomyopathy if memory serves), and he
suspected the same to be true for ferrets.  He gave me a bottle of
"felobits" and said Mia should get a 1/4 of a pill twice a week.  This
amounts to about 15mg of taurine (30mg a week).  If it's not dangerous
for her, I don't mind giving it to her, but I was wondering if anyone
else had heard of this.

One last thing - any ferret people in Toronto ON know of a pet store
which carries Totally Ferret?  My vet had never heard of it, and I
have yet to find it in my travels.
Jim and Lisa (and Mia Ferret too!)