From:
"Mary L. McCarty" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 1997 12:13:01 -0400
I am trying to track down the policy, numbers of ferrets killed and tested,
etc. for the state of PA. I just spoke with Larry Stetson (717) 327-3400,
the District Program Manager out of Williamsport, about PA's policies on
ferrets (I was told that his office's recommendation covers all of PA). He
has told me that the only animals that allow for the 10 day quarantine are
dogs and cats. His standard recommendation on ferrets are the kill and test
policy because there is no time line for rabies shedding in ferrets, yet.

Larry told me that to get hardcopy of the policy to contact the state
epidemiologist (I had originally called that dept and got directed to other
offices - figures!). Also, I was told the only place that "may" have
numbers on how many ferrets have been killed and how many tested positive
for rabies would be the 2 labs that do the testing.

Has anyone else done this research for PA?  I don't want to duplicate
something that's already been done, so if there is information already out
there, could someone please email this to me or post it for everyone to see?

I'll keep you posted with what I find out - Can anyone let me know what
other states and/or counties allow the quarantine?  Please email me
privately - thanks!

Mary & Patrick ;-)

The Fuzzy Buttheads....
Fatso - "Where's my food dish?"
Skinny - "Let's play, you lazy bum."
Bear - "I want a toupee, Mom!"
Maggie - "Well, I need a whole new fur coat!"
Sweet Pea - "I want to play, play, play! 24 hours a day!"