From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2007 12:28:47 -0400
In real secondary constipation from laxative dependence the intestine
becomes accustomed to the added help and motility levels decrease.
Besides being seen in some animals who are given laxatives on a very
regular basis (daily or close to it) it is documented in humans who
overdo laxatives. The intestine will relearn the right level of
motility but that can take time.

With a ferret who has as many health considerations as the one
mentioned very short term secondary constipation from laxative
dependence would have raised more red flags than it would for most,
hence that part of the cautions (as well as the need to not pass the
meds too rapidly). Luckily, there were no such problems for that
individual when the laxative was stopped.

There is also perceived secondary constipation because laxatives
empty a digestive tract. Normally, there is always some waste in the
intestine and the ones farthest along are what pass out. (A childhood
family physician used to tell kids to think of bumper cars. Not
terribly accurate but it gets the image fastened in.) After the use
of laxatives the intestine needs to once again get back to the normal
situation so it takes a little longer at first to have a movement.

Early on the topic is one that used to be tackled often by FML member
vets but I think that hands finally got thrown up in frustration
because the popular tide was so strong. Off hand, I can't recall if it
has come up on the FHL, and do not know if the FML discussions precede
the years for which the FML archives is searchable, but I do recall it
as being early on so that is possible.

You can find a lot on the topic in humans on the internet because it is
a common enough problem. There are fewer when +veterinary is added to a
general search. Interestingly, a number of those seem to be related to
the misuse of certain herbs. As is no secret, I am very low on time so
just on skimming:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi

brings up 6 articles on the term "laxative dependence" though often
full articles need to be sought once it is known which ones to seek
because the abstracts may not have the details sought. Some abstracts
at PubMed connect to free full articles, others to ones that can be
purchased, and some need the help of a librarian (a real unsung hero
type of profession in my eyes).

http://www.bionewsonline.com/v/2/fermentation_r.htm

This one needs a subscription which I don't have:
> Essiac(r)
> ... melanosis coli, laxative dependence, and pathological
> alterations to the colonic smooth muscles (8; .... J Am Vet
> Med Assoc 6-1-1993;202(11):1839-1844. ...
> www.naturalstandard.com/monographs/herbssupplements/aux2-essiac.asp

I don't have time to check but I notice a number of hits on that search
refer to Aloe Vera but I do not know the circumstances. This one

http://www.herbalabstracts.com/aloe/aloeveralibrary.htm
(which needs to include the bad along with the good)
seems to be the best of the lot to check through on that (though
honestly I find it lacking in balance because I think that any herbal
references and uses just like any other med site or promotion/sales
should prominently contain the associated cautions, interactions, etc.
and I have seen that failure to include mentions of the bad as well as
the good far too abused in ferret care (Just a couple of truly serious
examples which could even prove fatal: licorice not containing warnings
about the associated cardiovascular damage and thrown clots (often
mislabeled "strokes") and other problems, Pau d'Arco not containing
the warnings of side effects -- including drops in blood sugar which
are a dangerous risk if insulinoma is present -- mentioned by known
ferret vets (including one noted ferret veterinary text author, Dr.
Karen Purcell:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/SG964
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/SG12059
are from vets who used it in the past and found too many serious side
effects in ferrets so stopped doing so.)

BTW, in the links section at the FHL are links which help look up
a wide range of med types including herbals, alternatives and
complimentary approaches, etc. I did not include those in my search so
that people can easily supplement what I write in this post on their
own.

Again, I am very short on time so this post is meant for nothing beyond
helping people begin their own searches and their own reading, so is
obviously incomplete and just meant to help people get started.

Steve and I were a little worried (needlessly) when we first tried the
vet-advised reduced use of furball meds (though we give the laxative if
a ferret "glatches" (a good Don Martin word), and during sheds though
combing to remove loose fur is our first-order approach, or if we think
a ferret may have eaten certain things -- with the last such instance
being styrofoam something like 10 plus years ago). Honestly, we have
not personally had any problems here from the reduction in use, and our
change was a large one. That is just our experience and "the plural of
data is not anecdotes" (a quote for which I am always grateful to
Linda) so use that grain of salt.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links: