From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 May 1995 10:46:04 -0400
hi.  I'd like to post this anonymously so i don't get into any legal
trouble.  Someone asked in the most recent digest "i wonder what the
university of california is doing to the research ferrets" - or something
very close to that.  I worked for the university for 2 years, in San
Francisco.  I can tell you that 1) research is not being conducted by the
UC itself, but rather by investigators who basically rent space from the
university, and whose research is funded by the federal gov't; and 2) the
project i know of involving ferrets was a brain study, conducted very
humanely.  These ferrets were supplied with lots of toys and lots of love
during their time with us.  There were no dry eyes in the lab when it
became necessary to "sacrifice" a ferret.  It is difficult, I know, to
separate emotions from intellect and rationality, but it is necessary to
conduct certain kinds of research involving animals for many reasons that
don't belong on this list.  Please know, however, that lab animal workers
and many investigators do care about their animals, and that lab ferrets
are not all mistreated - and definitely not by the university of
california, san francisco.  thanks.