From:
Katherine Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 1994 10:06:38 -0500
> From: PRAHMAN <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Ferret List Issue 735
> Date:   Mon, 21 Feb 1994 09:37:54 -0500

[deletions]

> PLEASE BEWARE of chocolates and caffeine with ferrets! The natural
> ingredients in chocolate (caffeine and coca derivatives) CAN get
> their little hearts a racing into cardiac arrest. Same with coffee,
> tea, and MOST soda pops! Small tastes, regulated only!!

While I do not recommend giving chocolate to ferrets except in very small
quantitites as an *occasional* treat, I must take issue with you here. The
active ingredient in chocolate is NOT caffeine, but theobromine.  There
are only TRACE amounts of caffeine in chocolate.  Theobromine is
chemically related to caffeine, and is a nervous system stimulant, but it
is not the same thing as caffeine.

Also, chocolate does NOT contain coca derivatives!!  Chocolate is made
from the byproducts of cocoa, not coca!!!  Cocoa comes from the cacao
bean, Theobroma cacao (which means "food of the gods").

(In case you're wondering, how I know this, my father does cocoa
research.)

I have yet to see any scientific evidence that chocolate is toxic to
ferrets, but prefer to err on the side of caution.  (The theobromine in
chocolate IS toxic for DOGS).  My ferrets have had an *occasional*
chocolate chip, and it has not hurt them.  I would be wary of milk
chocolate, since dairy products cause diarrhea in ferrets.

> on another note:  our ferret tarzan, who is our most hyperactive one, has
> a new antic- he knocks over the wastebasket in the bathroom, positions it
> very carefully, stands up on it, climbs onto the toilet seat and proceeds to
> drink from the toilet!  it was very funny to walk in there and see the back
> end  of a ferret sticking out of the toilet.

Judith -- sounds like Tarzan is a soulmate to our Sigmund.  Siggy taught
us early on to keep toilet lids DOWN, because he would JUMP in, splash
around, jump OUT and trail water everywhere.  He also figured out how to
climb onto the kitchen counters by jumping up and grabbing the trash can
liner that hung over the edge, haul himself on top of the garbage can, and
from there climb onto the counter.  Unless the garbage can wasn't full, in
which case, he would fall through the swing top into the can!  Out in the
living room, we would hear a thumping sound -- upon investigation, would
find the can "walking" across the floor!  Look in the top -- there's
Sigmund looking up with a puzzled expression on his face.  ROFL!
Priceless!!

> "I happened to check the 1994 Compendium on Rabies Control published
> by the Am. Assn. of Public Health Veterinarians after our conversation.
> In contrast to previous versions, this one does not recommend euthanasia
> of vaccinated ferrets involved in human bite cases.  This is considered
> the authoritative summary of standards to be followed in rabies control
> programs, but getting it incorporated into all state and local
> rules will likely take awhile."

This is VERY interesting, and I will pass it on to Dr. Lenny Southam, the
veterinary manager of the CompuServe Pets Forum and get her comments.

Katie, Jeff, Bandit, Molly, Charlie, Pogo & Sigmund
Katie Fritz
Small Mammals Section Leader/CompuServe Pets Forum
Internet: [log in to unmask]  CIS: 71257,3153