From:
"Mrs. Duck" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 12:54:06 -0500
It's been a long time since I have posted- summer is a very busy time for me
at work- both jobs are in their busy season then.  I didn't even get a
chance to read lots of the FML's- thank you to the people who pulled out the
really urgent things and sent them to me via e-mail.  I responded to those
items privately.  I am here with Gabriel who is finally out of
season...whew, it was a rough summer.  We have added yet another rescue to
our den of theives, making the count now eight.

HARNESSES:
I swear by the ones Shirley Hertzog makes to support her shelter.  They come
in several sizes, and properly fitted, the ferrets can not get out of them.
I have 8 ferrets ranging from 1.25 lbs. on a good day to tipping the scales
in the 6 lb. range.  You can reach her at [log in to unmask]  If BIG takes
out the contact info I just wrote, e-mail me and I'll give it to you.

COLD FERRETS:
I wouldn't worry too much about them being cold.  If there are two or more,
they will keep each other warm, and if they have plenty of snuggly things to
cuddle in, they should have no problem with temps into the 40's or so.  I
think I would have left them in the cage, with the cage as high in the room
as practically possible.  This would have forced them to sleep together to
stay warm.  55-60 during the day should not have any ill effect on them at
all.

BRITTLE NAILS:
Try rubbing Vitamin E oil directly into the nails.  You might have to give
them a treat while it soaks in to keep them from licking it off.  It is also
good for dry pads.

FERRETS AND BABIES:
The parents of any child need to be responsible to ensure the safety of the
child.  Any, ANY, animal in the household may pose a risk, and parents must
take precautions to keep their animals away from children when not closely
supervised.  There are far more incidents of dog and cat bites to babies
than ferret bites.  It is absurd to suggest that ferrets pose any more of a
danger to a child than a dog or cat or any other animal.

MELISSA'S VET SCALE STORY:
That is a cute story.  My vet calls that contraption the "ferret stew pot".

TEETH BRUSHING:
Ferrets and all animals need regular oral care.  They are susceptable to
gingivitus and tooth decay just like humans.  You can buy a small animal
toothbrush at most larger pet stores, as well as animal toothpaste.  DO NOT
use people toothpaste.  For caked on tarter and plaque, you will need to use
a scaler.  If you are uncomfortable with this, ask your vet to do it.  It is
usually a two person job to do properly.  There will be a small amount of
gum bleeding when you first do it.  This is normal, and should stop
momentarily.

MASTIFFS AND FERRETS:
My sister has a Bull Mastiff.  We will be introducing the ferrets to him in
a month or so, I'll gladly let you know how it went if you want to wait that
long.

RESCUES AND SHOWS:
Miss Grace who was a rescue we didn't think would live out the week in early
spring of '95, won Best In Show, Senior Class at the LOS National
Championship Show last month.  Extra raisons were handed out that night!

CLUMPING LITTER:
I have heard several stories of this type of litter being ingested during
grooming/box snorfing/etc.  It turns into a concrete inside the stomache,
and glues itself to the intestinal walls.  I am not a medical person, but it
made sense- I have since switched to Yesterdays News.  It also seems more
environmentally freindly.

Dooks to all!!
-Mrs. Duck