From:
Alexandra Sargent-Colburn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 2010 15:17:06 +0000
Dear Ferret Folks-

Yes, I am a Mass-hole. That's the bad news. The good news is that there
are some excellent resources in the MA/CT/NH (those are my personal
stomping grounds) area if you are in New England and wish to adopt.

In Keene, NH about 90 minutes north of Worcester (Woos-ter) MA we have
Alicia's place, Ferret-Wise. I am not sure if she has any adoptables
at the moment, but she has her ear to the ground and knows a *lot* of
ferret folks. She is a good person to know if you are in an adopting
mood.

In CT, there is FACT, the Ferret Association of CT. They have a shelter
network and generally have adoptables. These people are *tenacious*! I
think a full ten years ago I sent them a pitifully small donation, and
I am *still* on their mailing list. Check their website for info. about
their Annual Ferret Frolic on April 17th.

http://www.ferret-fact.org/

In MA I can think of two excellent organizations right off the top of
my head. One is MAFF, the Massachusetts Ferret Friends. They have an
adoptables page on their website, I'm seeing four "Wandering Weasels"
right now looking for forever homes. I adopted the late, lamented Ping
is He from them. (OK, now I'm tearing up. I miss you, buddy! *Never*
trust your dog alone with your ferret.) They have an upcoming ferret
event at the Petco in Taunton on Sat. the 13th, an Education/Adoption
day. There is a *lot* going on in the "Coming Events" section of their
website.

http://www.maferrets.org/

The other is South Shore Ferret Care, they have 13 adoptables *right
now* on their website! They also sell the AMAZING Weasel Laundry Soap
that completely takes ferret perfume out of bedding. A paste of it left
on a tenacious laundry stain overnight is darn near *magic*. They have
an upcoming event, a ferret rabies clinic on Apr. 24th in Randolph MA.
at the Randolph Animal Hospital.

http://www.southshoreferretcare.org/

Now, these are the shelter/rescues that I know the best and have the
most experience with and could name off the top of my head, but I
*know* shelter folk. You are *dangerous* when crossed, so I will list
the other shelters named in the NE region by the AFA, the American
Ferret Association's master list of shelter/rescues. Here is the link
for the master list...

http://www.ferret.org/links/shelters.html.

And here are the names I left out.

In MA: Michael Alfonso Ferret Rescue Center, The Educated Ferret Club,
Gimme Shelter Ferret Rescue, NE Ferret Foster, Education, and Rescue.

In ME: Ferret Rescue of ME, The Ferret Zone, Western Maine Ferret
Rescue.

In RI: The Ferret Association of RI.

In NH: 4 Li'l Paws Ferret Shelter, Ferret Services or Freedom, Ferret
Kingdom, Luv of Ferrets Shelter and Rescue, Shady Pines Ferret
Sanctuary.

If I have inadvertently left you off of the list, please don't hurt me.
Please.

Alexandra in MA