From:
Nancy Hartman CIS graduate student <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 1992 03:03:32 -0400
**** Please respond ASAP ****

O.K. everyone, I need some help.

About 3 days ago I noticed that Percy (spayed female, 3 1/2 years) has
a slightly swollen vulva.  I've waited a few days just to make sure, and
it's definately getting more swollen.  Although, it's still not "large".
She appears healthy, her appetite is good, and she's as playful as usual.
She has lost weight and her coat is thin (but that could just be seasonal).
She may be sleeping a bit more than usual, it's hard to tell, she has always
slept a lot.

I have two ideas on this.  An adrenal tumor (Cushing's), or a botched up
spay job.  I'm praying that I'm being overly-paranoid on this one - does
anyone know of any other causes of a swollen vulva?  (No, I don't have a
whole male in the house who's attacking my girls)

[Not necessarily botched, just a bit of tissue left behind.  Mocha just
went thru this a little while ago.  Have your vet try a shot of HCG.
If it doesn't work the first time, try a second.  Mocha needed two.]

I want to catch whatever it is as soon as possible.  Especially if it is
cancer.  Is Cushing's even diagnosable at this early stage?  Or, do I have
to wait until there's a tumor the size of a golf ball for them to find it?

Who would be the best person to have my vet call for the latest procedures
for detection/treatment?  I was thinking Dr. Kawasaki.  Is there anyone else
who might be more on the "cutting edge" on this issue?

Any information is much appreciated!!!

- Nancy

or
(215) 255 - 4436
I should be in every evening this week.  And I'm usually up late, at least
12:00.
or
If you're going to the Lehigh Valley show this weekend, bring any information
that you have.  (I already have Dr. Fox's book, Biology and Diseases of the
Ferret)

Nancy Hartman                     CIS graduate student
[log in to unmask]                  U. of Delaware
        President and founder, Delaware Valley Ferret Club
                      Owner of Percy & Bree