Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 00:52:20 EST
I was speaking with a local veterinarian this afternoon... he said a couple
things that surprised me.  First, that he found ferret abdominal surgery
"more difficult" than that of dogs or cats.  The second was, that he didn't
advocate vaccinating a ferret unless the owner insisted.  His reasoning was
that a ferret was not likely to come in contact with the canine distemper
virus except under extraordinary circumstances.  He said that in "most
circumstances" ferrets seldom had access to the outdoors, or to other
animals, and were thus at minimal risk for picking up the CDV.
Circumstances such as my own, where a number of animals were present and
frequently came through animal control, might be at a slightly higher
risk of CDV but even then he thought it minimal if proper quarantine were
observed.

In discussing this with him, he said he'd be interested in knowing some
actual numbers:
1. How many ferrets have actually developed CDV, where the diagnosis was
   certain?  Over what period of time did this happen?
2. In how many of those cases was the method of exposure known for sure?
   i.e. direct contact with another animal, through contaminated feces, or
   indirectly through contact with contaminated ground, caging or clothing?

If you have the figures, or have any references which I can offer this vet
on this topic, I'd be grateful.

Carla Smith  <><
WhyNot? Ferrets
http://www.whynotferrets.com
ICQ:  29478475
member, Rio Grande Domestic Ferret Club, El Paso, TX
"Every pet deserves to be loved, and to have someone cry over them when
 they're gone."