From:
"Sue M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 01:52:55 +0000
I, too, understand that it is illegal to use ferrets to hunt or to use them
as "working animals" in the U.S.  But of course, there are still people who
do so.

I'm curious as to why it's illegal here?  Certainly there are dangers and
some of the practices that I've heard that were used would probably need to
be changed, but weren't they originally bred to be working animals (not our
pets today, but as they were developed).  I've gotten questions from people
around here who were interested in them as pets, but also for pest control
on their farm.  Of the many hazzards I can see on a farm for ferrets, I
don't see that many that are much different than the farm cat faces, and
*they* aren't illegal to use as "working animal".

Do we know how a ferret *would* fare on a farm, if given adequate shelter,
food, socialization, vet care, etc?  Are they not inclined to stay in one
area?  Now, I wouldn't take ferrets bred to be exclusively pets and expect
them to know that home is home, just like I wouldn't expect any other new
animal to recognize home right away.

Of course, these are just questions for a curious mind, especially since I
am going to someday be asked that question "why can't they be used as
working ferrets".  The answer I've always heard to why it's illegal is "it's
cruel" "its too dangerous", etc.  But when I started thinking about it, I
couldn't pin down something that was so much more dangerous for them than
for the average farm cat, and having farm cats isn't illegal, though I've
met and seen people who think that letting cats out should be *sigh*.  I
would like to be able to give good solid answers to people who question (as
well as myself), as to why using the ferret as a working animal is illegal.
(Or is it simply because they were misrecognized as a "wild" animal, and
it's illegal to use wild animals in hunting?)

"A sleeping ferret is nothing more than a thief in wait."

Everyone's been good today *g*

Sue, Rosa, Rocky, & Brit