From:
Melissa Rotert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Apr 2003 07:22:28 -0700
Ok, I know this is OT, and I'm sure BIG will not let it continue long,
but here goes...

Of course it is almost impossible to stop the stealing of graphics.  Of
course it would cost an arm and a leg to litigate each case.  But the
first step is always to make contact with the people who HAVE STOLEN the
graphic, and it IS stealing, and tell them they must stop using it.

And I'm sorry, but it IS stealing to take a graphic off a website without
permission.  I have used other people's graphics on my websites before
but ALWAYS obtain permission first.  If you don't, you are either
unscrupulous or ignorant, and I myself prefer NOT to be put into either
of those catagories.

In the case of FerretWise, she has every RIGHT as OWNER of the copyright
on that graphic to tell whoever is using it to stop.  And if they don't,
she WOULD have every right to prosecute them.  And they need to know
that!!  If they did it out of ignorance, perhaps this will open their
eyes.  If they did it out of...uh...scruplessness?  (LOL) then they need
to have a little fear put into them, and they SHOULD be ashamed, they
ARE breaking a law, and they SHOULDN'T just be able to sit there, calm
and cool and think that what they did isn't THAT bad and no one will DO
anything about it.

The fact is, stealing a graphic from someone's website IS as bad as
plagiarism!  It is the unlawful theft of intellectual property.  So what
if it happens all the time?  So what if it would be impossible to catch
everyone?  So what if it is difficult to litigate?  If it happens to
you, and you are fine with it... ok, that is basically granting your
permission, and no law is broken.  But if you aren't ok with it, that is
a whole different matter.

Melissa Rotert