From:
Nora Keefer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 2004 13:47:43 -0400
>From:    Jason Porta  <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Biting
>
>Hi everyone.  I just brought home my new ferret.  He's 7 months old,
>really big, and a biter.  He bites me pretty much every time I try to
>touch him.  I've been bleeding a lot and I'd like to know how I can
>stop this...

Hi Jason, I have read the other replies to your post, and agree with them
(esp. the one from Darrin re: try to figure out possible reasons for the
biting, and give him time to adjust to you and his new home), and have
one more suggestion for you.

Let me start by saying that I am not a Vet or behavior expert, just a
fellow ferret enthusiast with a little personal experience.  First, you
must understand that a ferret's skin is MUCH thicker than ours (I have
seen a needle bend when the Vet was trying to vaccinate one of my
ferrets).  Second, biting is not only their main defense, but also how
they play with each other while wrestling (although if he is drawing
blood, it doesn't sound like he is "playing" with you).

I have taken in ferrets labeled as "Biters", and have had a lot of
success in teaching them the difference between acceptable ("play")
biting and bad, aggressive biting.  Once your ferret is comfortable with
you, when he bites, say in a deep, loud, and stern voice, like you would
to a child (not "screaming" - you don't wan't to damage his hearing, just
startle him and get his attention), "(NAME), NO BITE!!!".  Then, I would
usually continue doing what I was doing (petting, holding), and repeat
the "NO BITE" thing as they keep biting.  If you are holding him when he
bites, and then you put him down as a result, this only reinforces his
behavior (Bite = Down).  Obviously, hitting or spanking the ferret when
he bites, only makes him fear you.

Using this method, and a lot of patience, I have successfully converted
"Biters" to "Kissers".  I have also found that this works with other
things, like "NO DIG" on carpeting, or "NO BITE" when they are biting on
their cage.

Good luck with your new ferret!

Nora and Frances (my little kisser)