From:
Rebecca Zee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Sep 2003 17:27:03 -0700
Hello everyone,
I am a new (2 weeks) owner of two ferrets living in the Boston area.
I just had a really frustrating experience that I wanted to share.
When I bought my ferrets (from the Petco in Cambridge, MA), I was given
information about low-cost vaccination clinics being held there twice
a month.  When I went there this morning, the vet (or one of his
assistants) told me that they were no longer giving out canine distemper
shots to ferrets.  Well, I told him it shouldn't be on the information
sheet if this was the case.  Then as I was leaving, one of the employees
told us that she had asked the vet several times to change the
information on the sheet, but he refused.

I am just livid because I brought my ferrets into a store that had
several dogs inside who could possibly have canine distemper.  My little
ones are only 11 weeks old and they haven't had any shots yet.  I am
worried that the distemper shot they recieved before I bought them (they
are from Marshall farms) has now worn off and I have pretty much put them
in mortal danger.  The worst part is that the vet obviously doesn't care
about what happens to ferrets that are brought to these vaccination
clinics and he does these clinics at all of the area Petcos.  As soon
as we got home, my boyfriend called a Petco survey and complained about
this.  Unfortunately, the soonest I'll be able to get them shots (since
I go to school during the week) is next saturday-if I can get an
appointment.  Does anyone in the Boston area know of a good vet that
has ferret experience?  Also, does anyone have any suggestions about how
to effectively deal with my Petco experience?

Thanks!
Rebecca, Mike, Dante, and Duchess.