From:
Inez Gowsell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 1994 12:25:28 -0500
I seem to be in a babbling mood lately.  First, after having reading
other people's comments and actually *thinking* about things (I know, new
concept for me :), I figured that maybe LABBS wants to know what type
of research pet owners feel is very important to the current and continued
well-being of their pets - such as a US recognized rabies study.  Perhaps
someone from that group could enlighten us?

On to the topic I wanted to discuss.  I was bored at work last night,
didn't feel like doing stuff I was *supposed* to do, so I popped over to
the Vet College and took out a couple of books on Ferrets and read them.

The first one I read was Chuck and Fox Morton's _Ferrets: A Complete
Owner's Manual_, published 1985.   It was a very good introduction to
ferrets, as others have already mentioned.  I know I have never read the
book before, although once upon a time I looked through some book about
ferrets - can't remember which - so I was amazed to read my own
experiences in the first two pages.

First, Fox commented on one of their females' favorite treat being red
licorice - Cocoa's favorite was red licorice.  She would go nuts if you
opened a bag and she was in smelling distance of it!  :)  Second, at the
end of the "A Word Up Front", she says the same thing that I have always
told people - a ferret is midway between a cat and dog both in level of
care needed and in temperament.

They go on to discuss most of the things potential owners need to know
about ferrets.  Lots of color photographs and great pictures.

The other book is _The Ferret and Ferreting Handbook_ by James McKay, 1989.
It deals with ferrets in Britain and is more of a book for people that
use ferrets to hunt rabbits than for those that keep them as pets.  He
does say that his ferrets are pets and the one he describes is very
friendly, but the general tone of the book is aimed at hunting with
ferrets - if you have an appropriate license of course!

He mentions using wood shavings in the cages (recommends big outdoor
cages, btw) as well as straw or hay or something like that.  The Morton's
also suggest wood chips, but they do advise against cedar chips and
sawdust, for respiratory reasons.  So, perhaps some wood chips are better
than others?  Of course, both of these books were written a few years
ago, and people are more aware of health risks now, I guess.

I mostly skimmed through the second book.  If anyone is interested in
ferreting, or just wants a couple of recipes for cooked rabbit, check it out.
Otherwise, it is a waste of time for the average pet owner.

Here endeth the review.    :)

Inez