From:
John Rosloot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Nov 1994 15:11:51 -0600
     Hi all. Well, Bud's back from the vet and on antibiotics. As some of
you may recall, Bud's had the runs on and off for some time now. He's ok for
1 to 4 days, then has the runs for a day or two. The consistency varies from
normal to soft to very runny, with mucus mixed in rarely as well. This has
been going on for a few months. I haven't noticed any other symptoms; his
behavior, energy, eating and drinking all seem normal. I can think of nothing
that has changed in his life in the past while except the introduction of
Sammy 5 months ago. The vet suggested stress over the new ferret might be
Bud's problem, but keeping them separated for a couple of weeks didn't
change anything. Bud was also on antibiotics 6 months ago for a kidney
infection. I forget what kind specifically, but I know the antibiotics
he's on now are different.

     I took him in to the vet for the second time for this on Monday. The
vet kept him Monday, overnight, and all day Tuesday for observation and to
run some tests. He said his stools looked normal while he was there, and the
tests showed he was digesting everything normally except starches, which were
coming through a little more than normal. He said there didn't seem to be any
irritation of the bowels. He says they can't really test specifically for in-
fection because so many bacteria are 'normal' in the GI tract, but figured
that was the most likely cause and prescribed antibiotics twice/day for a
week. I don't have the bottle here and can't quite make out his writing, but
it looks like 'Septral'.

     Any comments from the more medically inclined members of the List on any
of this would be appreciated. It's bad enough when my boy is sick, but to not
know what's causing it really preys on the nerves.

John, Buddy, Cassidy, and Sammy
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada